For a number of years now, I have been reliably blogging every Friday with barely a hitch.
And then in the last few weeks it has all gone to pot. I'm hoping you'll forgive me, because I think I have got the most amazing wildlife gardening excuse.
Yes, I've bought a new garden. It's big. And it's in a right old state!
My dream garden would be an absolute blank canvas. But this is a close second best - a large garden, once loved, but that has got totally out of control.
It is 'blessed' with about 25 leylandii, each I estimate about 60 foot tall.
Only some of them aren't even standing...
...and as you can see nor is the garden wall it fell onto.
Then there are all the nettles. And bindweed.
And the military style fencing.
You get the sense that it is long time since this garden became too much for its former owners.
But what an adventure and privilege to have the chance to bring it back to life! An adventure which will now form much of the content of this blog.
I hope you enjoy following my journey as I see how successfully I can give nature a home
How lovely to have all your comments so quickly - hello to you all :-)
I'm looking forward to revealing some surprises I've already discovered in the jungle!
Great lateral thinking, Wildlife Friendly, about the climber potential for that military fencing - it's just that there's 150 metres of it, so I won't be keeping it all!
Bravo! Do hope you've got some help (or at least a strong back!).
I almost forgot, the 'military style' fencing is a readymade, strong framework for climbing plants. I'm looking at the fencing as a real plus.
What a fantastic project.
We too had a leylandii hedge when we first moved in. We cut ours down leaving two foot stumps, this killed the leylandii but left a frame work to plant around. Ten years down the line, between natural decay and burrowing insects, there is nothing left of the stumps. I will admit that the stumps were not originally left for wildlife but because the amount of work involved in removing them was beyond me. I'm very pleased I left them now.
Bindweed, with perseverance, can be eradicated, I've managed it in 95% of my garden. The other 5% I have left in places were it can grow without causing a problem. The flowers are stunning on mass and being a native wildflower they must be beneficial to something.
In one of your photos I spotted a greenhouse, lucky you, now there is no stopping you. The feeling of achievement when you create a garden from scratch is fantastic but when you have raised most of you plants from seed or cuttings, it's a buzz which never leaves you.
Lastly, you now have room for a Shrubby honeysuckle (Lonicera fragrantissma). I remember you mentioning that in a small garden where space is a premium they are not practical, now there is no reason not to have one, it is a shrub you will never regret planting.
I look forward to following your progress.
What a challenge you have set for yourself, but I am sure it is going to be very rewarding, in time. I am sure we will " enjoy following your journey."
We spend 90% of net income on conservation, public education and advocacy
The RSPB is a member of BirdLife International. Find out more about the partnership
© The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) is a registered charity: England and Wales no. 207076, Scotland no. SC037654