• Sowing the seeds of satisfaction

A garden full of plants is the bedrock of giving nature a home, and April is prime time to start many on their journey. Yes, it's time to sow seeds.

I still can't believe how cheap it is to grow plants this way. Many potted plants at garden centres cost a tenner each, when you could grow 50 of the same from seed for about two quid plus the cost of a bag of compost.

Many people do say to me, "Oooh, no, I can…

• Slowly stirring the rich pot of life

I do have mixed feelings about this time of year. On the one hand, I'm eager for spring to really show its hand, feel the warmth of the sun, and be surrounded by an explosion of life. On the other hand, I don't want to rush it and spring be half way through before I've even had chance to appreciate it.

So today I thought I'd head out into my garden and just enjoy those little signals that spring is starting…

• A garden full of Mumruffins

My garden is currently alive with Mumruffins.

Maybe you come from Nottingham and call them Bum Barrels, or from Norfolk and call them Pudding Bags, but I'm from Worcestershire so Mumruffins it will stay.

In a birdbook you're stuck with the rather more prosaic Long-tailed Tit, and I have to say I have a rather soft spot for them.

A troupe of about a dozen - which will be an extended family party - passes through…

• Don't delay, plant a tree today!

Of all the decisions to make in a garden, the one I always think should not be put off is the question of planting trees.

Certainly the decision should be carefully considered, because the wrong tree in the wrong place can provide real headaches down the line.

But the right trees in the right places are such a winner for wildlife that you really will make a difference for nature by doing so.

And the problme is that…