• Seeds to sow for wildlife

Seed-sowing time is definitely upon us, and for about £2 a packet, a bag of peat-free compost and a few pots, you can give yourself a border-full of plants.

So I thought I would pick out my recommendations of seeds that are really quick and really easy to grow, easy to buy, and will flower this year and help wildlife in your garden this summer.

Here are15 of my favourites from years and years of trying, and some…

• Out in the garden, are you ready for spring's runaway train to arrive?

I find this a funny time of year - spring feels so close and yet so far away.

Here for example is the Chichester cathedral gardens this week, one of my regular little haunts where I go for a quick battery recharge and head-clear when I have meetings nearby.

As you can see, the Bishop’s flowerbeds are looking pretty roughed-up by winter’s ravages - bare and grey.

Few of the plants have yet put on much growth…

• Have you been Siskinned yet?

My mum and dad rang me last night excited about the finch-fest going on in their Worcestershire garden at the moment.

A number of Redpolls have been visiting for about 3 or 4 winters now. And this year a trio of Bramblings have joined the party.

But they’ve now been joined by a little troupe of Siskins, providing yet another splash of colour and variety to the gardening mix. And I’m hearing that for many other people Siskins…

• Blushing Daphne in the woods

I got home last night in the semi-light (hoorah!), which allowed me time for a little wander around my Woodland Garden (it's a grand title for a little shady area under the Sycamores).

It was so encouraging to see the Wild Daffodil leaves poking through and the Cow Parsley already looking dense and luxuirient.

But it is this little beauty that really brightens the woodland floor:

It is Mezereon, which sounds…

• Gardeners - your moths and hedgehogs need you.

Once in a while, I like to bring you an update of various stories relevant to gardening for wildlife that have been in the media recently.

And none is more current than the story that broke today from Butterfly Conservation about the calamitous decline in British moths.

The headline conclusion of a study at 525 sites across the country, which captured nine million moths between 1968 and 2007, was that two-thirds of common…