Tawny/Screech owls

Hi everyone

I wonder if you can help. I am lucky enough to have a tawny owl nesting in my owl box and my neighbour was saying that he has put up screech owl boxes. I am not familiar with screech owls and having looked on the RSPB site they only list Barn, Little, Long Eared and Tawny. Does anyone have any info on screech owls and if they are resident in the UK? My neighbour says they like decaying branches of trees which have hollowed out to nest in.

Thanks a lot

• Maybe Jimmy commented on it by accident cause he didn’t know it was a old thread which made it came up to the top which made us think it was a new thread and comment on it by accident aswell.

• Thanks for pointing out that it was a old thread.
  • Hi yes i didnt realise it was an old thread as its in the latest posts and now ive read it I see its 10 years old, sorry. In reply to pete though i do have a lot of tawnys, barn owls, little owls etc. here, but this is a call Ive never heard before, originally I thought it may of been turtle doves but it only calls in the evening and through the night, its very gentle and never ends in a hoot or a screech, I do have a very poor recording of it but ive never managed to get close enough for a better one. Ive scoured the net to try and find it and tha only call that is a virtual exact match is the american screech owls. Id love to know exactly what it is.

kind regards
    John.
  • I got a idea. Even if its a very poor recording it might still help to a certain exstent.  you could post the recording so we can hear it and then we might be able help abit more if that’s ok?

• Germain, they call them Screech Owls in the North East as well but that term seems to have skipped us in Yorkshire, it's a very descriptive term I think

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• sounds great! im out at the minute but will post it later on today
  • Sorry its took so long i couldnt find the recording but know i have and Ive been trying to post this recording on here but it wont let me, how do i do it please
  • on a I pad click on use Rich formatting and then if it’s a video you can click on Photo Library if it’s audio you can click browse or  select open files and click on the file there. On a phone it’s pretty much the same thing. I don’t know what it’s like on a computer cause I havnt used a computer to send video or audio yet. Someone else like one of the other members might be able to give you  another way that you can do it aswell but this is one of the ways I found out you can do it of how to send audio and video files 

• Hope this works. its the birds to the end of the recording, they call in the evening and into the night