Long Eared Owls

Hello,

Just wanted to share this amazing sighting I had this evening (in a secret location in Yorkshire!)

A very close up view of 3 long eared owl fledglings bobbing up and down on a branch squeeking to each other.

One of the parents was nearby, so I quietly and reluctantly moved away as not to disturb the dusk activities of this little family.

I have never seen a long eared owl until now. .......this has made an otherwise bad day a fantastic one.

Does anyone know how rare or otherwise these owls are in the UK?  Am I correct in thinking that the "ears" are actually feathers and that the ears are small holes on either side of the head?

On the subject of owls, I have spotted quite a few little owls this year, having never seen these before either.

Good year for owls? I wonder if last year there was an increase in small rodents and more rough grass available for breeding?

Bye,

Daisy

• Unknown said:

Well "ear disc" as far as I know is just a phrase coined by me to emphasise the true use of the feather construction that forms the owl "face". It is generally true that the owls that use their ears more than their eyes for hunting have more clearly defined "discs". The theory that the head weaving is a visual activity is quite valid I think but in my observations I find that the owls that do it most - Barn Owls of several species - are the very owls that use their ears to get a sense of their environs more than their eyes. I think it is likely to be a  combination but I feel the hearing part of it is often overlooked.

Humans do tend to overlook the importance of smell and hearing in other animals (and in our own young!) and in the case of owls we forget that they can hear a mouse's heart beating at about 5 feet. Great Grey Owls can locate Lemmings and Voles running around under 18inches of snow entirely by listening to the sounds and following them while on the wing so that a strike through the snow is frequently successful! :-O

pretty clever eh?

Jenni

Hi Jenni,

I agree that hearing is often overlooked. In the barn owl, it was proven many years ago that they can effectively hunt and capture rodents in zero light in controlled conditions. Reported in the Poyser monograph which I have. GGO behaviour shows that this effectiveness of hearing in owls is extensive.

With barn owls hunting over long grass, it is mostly sound they are responding to - squeaks from rodents and rustling of grass. Just before the strike they might get a look at the prey.

Cheers,

Andy

Seriously thinking about trying harder!

• The persecution of these beauties bothers me greatly. It is my VERY closely guarded secret.

Not even my bird loving best friend has been told where this nocturnal family live!

The last time I saw them, it looked as though the parents were teaching them how to hunt.

They were very aware that I was there, motionless in a bush, but seemed to accept that, and flew past my face as they swooped and pounced on unsuspecting rodents.

I will cherish those pictures in my head.

** I wonder if the young ones develop their "tufts" later on in life? They don't appear to have them.....

I saw them out and about at around 7.30pm with the sun still fairly high, with lots of sunlight streaming into the woods.

My understanding was that they are a shy owl who enjoy the cover of sundown.

I am told that the female may come back and nest in the same location the follwing year. ** Does anyone know if the offspring return to the same area to breed/nest? Or would their territories overlap too much? Would they choose a site muich further away?

I will look out for the book that you mentioned Jenni. thanks.

Good luck and stay safe little owls.

• Daisy,as you say it will be a sight you will not forget,the ones in our locality seem to use the same area yearly and certainly do so for winter roosts.Do you know if the location is known to other birders ?if not maybe you shoud contact your local recorder or the RSPB they may wish to set up protection in the area

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Daisy, with all the hooha at the weekend I missed this really fascinating thread. What an incredible privilege to be able to watch these owl, thank you for sharing it.  Jenni and Huw, thank you for the education in owl hearing, what a star that boy is.  I hope the owls stay safe.

Caroline in Jersey

Cin J

• I went back to the owl site two weeks ago. I did not see the parents, but I did hear two youngsters squeaking to each other. They seemed to have greatly increased their distance from the nest. I went past last night......nothing to be seen or heard.

I am hoping that this is a good sign  - that the young owls have flown and they are all safe, and that all is well...........

Having been informed on this forum that the adults tend to return to the same area to nest, I am hoping to see them next year. If I could work out how to upload photos I would post one of the fledgling staring intently into the camera with it's lovely amber eyes. Roll on next year! Thanks for all the info people have shared with me.

• Daisy do you know if they stay in the area over winter,they may have a communal roost in the area.It may be worth looking around or asking those you can trust with the info.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• HI Daisy and Seaman,

It is certainly worth making discrete enquiries with local wildlife trusts and possibly local RSPB groups to see if anyone knows about winter roosts etc.

The Longeared is one of the few owls that does tend to keep together over winter while other such as the Tawny and Barn are more likely to spread out  - even breeding pairs separating.

So I would say that it is worth your while Daisy to keep an eye on this area just as you are doing by paying a visit now and then.

Re - uploading Photos!

First click on "use rich Formatting" at the bottom of the reply box.

Next, click on the "Insert image"  icon on the bar at the top of the new box - it's the third from the left.

You'll then be given the option to "Browse" to find your photo on your PC.

When you have selected and "Opened " it you will see its name in italic script in the window. Wait till the name changes to normal upright lettering and the loading indicator has filled. It will then say "uploaded" and you can then click on "insert"!!!

Think I've got it right! If not, send an SOS to Doggie he's brill at explaining and helping you get the hang of things!

Cheers

Jenni

God gave us two ears and one mouth for a very good reason!