crows regularly harrassing magpies whilst they are constructing their nest

Over the past three weeks or so I have been watching a pair of magpies building their nest in a poplar tree near my garden.  However, on a number of occasions each day, two crows move in (even going into the nest) and remain there for several minutes.  There isn't a lot a squabbling, but the magpies slowly move back in and the crows fly away.  I would like to know:  Have others witnessed such events?  Who may win in the end?  If the magpies mate and then have their nest taken off them, what would happen?

I look forward to hearing any comments on this subject.

• I am just watching this exact thing outside my window. The large black bird is twice the size of the magpie pair. Then a second large black bird came. Lots of aggressive flapping. Black birds got into the nest. Have gone away for the moment. Took a bit of film.

• Hello Lucy C - I can see the original post is over 5 years old, but you have posted recently.

I have been off work for the past 2 weeks, and the nest at the bottom of my garden at the top of a huge pear tree has been used by a pair of magpies for at least the last couple of years.  For the last 2 weeks, the returning (I assume) pair of magpies have been trying to rebuild this nest, being CONSTANTLY harassed by a pair of carrion crows.  Although we often get magpies, we rarely see anything larger, so I had to look up to check what kind of birds they were (even suspected ravens for a short while as they seemed so big). Yesterday and today, I have only seen one of the magpies, so I am assuming the other is now in the nest.  The crows continue to fly close to the nest, chase off the magpie, and follow it from tree to tree. There seems to be no let up from them - whenever I happen to look, I see the crows and the magpie(s).  I have seen both the species with nesting material in their beaks over the fortnight, and wondered why they have put so much effort into fighting over this particular nest - it's been a long drawn out fight! Would the crows lay their own eggs with the magpies?  I'm really interested in any explanations for this behaviour.  Thanks

• There is usually a magpie nest in the leylandii at the bottom of my neighbour's garden, and during the nest building period the local carrion crows appear and start a-feuding and a-fighting with the magpies.  For the rest of the year they do not come anywhere near my garden and they do not seem to be interested in building a nest of their own - just in harassing the magpies.  This saga is now at an end because my neighbour settled the matter this week by cutting the tree down!

• i I have just witnessed a major row whereby a pair of magpies have been fighting off a crow who is trying to get into their nest in my garden. this went on for a good hour and then suddenly the crow left left which surprised me.
    would it be possible that actually it was the magpies nest?although it did look like the crow in the nest more than a magpie and it did look like the crow defending and not attacking?.any ideas what might be going on here? it is fascinating.
  • Hi there! I am new to the group and from Canada. I’m a real novice to bird watching and in the past year have been entertaining myself, my husband and a few of our four cats giving us all Bird TV. We all love it and get pretty excited when a new bird shows up to be identified.

Unfortunately my husband was the one who experienced what I know to be nature’s way but still horrifying when you’re the one to witness it for the first time, first hand.

He said he had been quietly reading in our tiny backyard when things got quiet. A magpie had been hanging around for part of the day and had been in and out of our rather large poplar tree. Crows were also heard off and on around our area. The magpie returned and as my husband looked up to see it, a crow suddenly flew straight at the magpie and speared it in the chest. My husband was horrified and told me that all he could hear for the next minute or so was the awful painful last cries of the magpie.

My husband came in to tell me what he had just witnessed and I, being the more “but it’s nature, hon” was glad I had not heard it or seen it. When he went out shortly thereafter, there was no sign of either the crow or magpie. No body left for us at the base of the tree. It can only be assumed that the crow took off with the magpie to eat it later.

The only thing I ever witnessed was a crow who had caught a young hare and decided I needed to have a good view of it in my yard, three feet from my window. Nothing was left of it later. Just the fluff.

None of my friends have heard or seen crows attacking magpies so I was trying to research if this is common when I found this site and forum. I hope this adds to your own research on the matter.
  • 2 days ago we witnessed crows in our garden attacking magpies. At first 4 crows went for 2 magpies but then a few moments later at least 6 crows seen flying at the magpies. 2 more magpies joined the original 2 and seemed to chase off the crows. Since then the 4 magpies are regular visitors to our garden. We put out mealworm which they seem to like and there is plenty of nest material available. Fascinating to watch. Never been a keen bird watcher in the past bit now keep a record and have up to 8 different varieties who are regular visitors.
  • Hi there , I'm new to this site . I went on it because I have just heard and seen something I've never seen before . I have lots of trees next to my house . I live in a terrace house in Manchester but I'm the end house next to a bowling green surrounded by trees . I heard this almighty noise I went out there was 2 crows in the tree opposite sides cawing and then I don't know lots of magpies also all making a different sound with lots of other magpies flying in this went on for around 10 minutes when one of the crows flew off closely followed by the other .. not really sure what was going on but the magpies won .