Cornish Barn Owls 2017

*** 2017 ***

Happy New Year !!!

Welcome to our little group following the Cornish Barn Owls, hoping for a successful season in 2017.

We have a couple (female ringed) getting to know each other, no mating yet (that we have seen).

There was a visit to the barn earlier, didn't stay long, floated out stage right:

Techie note for newbies:

The barn cam is still badgering a lot and while it's not the stream is still on-off-on-off - the intermittent sound being the telltale - and there's a huge, variable lag on it.

• Whoever was in your snaps, Sandra, left, and an owl entered the box and left, then this owl brought in prey and ate it and left... but all at different times on the barn cam, as you are aware.

I think this is bringing the prey:

The sudden shift towards the end was me realising that the browsers (2 x Opera) had shifted on the screen - that doesn't happen with FF or Chrome.

1m47s

Leaving, I think:

• It looks like the female came into the box with prey, she looked quite hungry and appeared to enjoy her meal.

Many thanks, as always x

• Good morning ladies :)

7:38 Both on the tray. (No scap as it's too 'glary')

• Hi Sandra

Both Box and Barn EMPTY earlier, so only recently arrived me thinks.

• Thanks Kate :)

16:20 I don't know what the true streaming is, both cams are still out of sync. Barncam is showing them both on the tray, nestcam shows them both in the box preening each other! At 16:30, only the female was on the tray in the barn - both still in the box on nestcam.

A series of scaps taken between 16:07 - 16:22

16:07 The male entered the box followed by the female

16:09

16:16

16:17

16:18

16:22

16:38 Both scaps taken at the same time

16:45

16:50 Is that a loose tail/wing feather?

17:13 On barncam, the female entered the box. I'm going to see how long it takes before she appears on the nestcam to get an idea of how much time difference there is between the two cams. EDIT A few seconds before 17:19, she came into the box so almost a 6 minute delay (barncam ahead)

17:35 Badgered on both cams

• Cont'd

17:43 I've refreshed both cams and I think the LS is now only a couple of seconds out of sync (Her body movements/sound of her rasping). I wonder if the system has been re-booted? If so, thank you BOT/WLTV/Landowner :)

18:08 Male in, female just visible on the right side of the middle beam

18:16 Female re-entered the box and began preening the male. (both cams are in sync!)

18:25 Male expelled a pellet and then left the box at 18:26. Female is making her rasping calls

18:26 Male mid-splat!

18:27

18:34 Male not on view in the barn. Female left the box and then flew out of cam view.

Now it's quiet, I'm going to lie down in a darkened room - what a busy couple of hours that was! lol :D

• 19:40 One flew in, landed on the front beam, went to the back then disappeared from view.

• Yes, I got the impression earlier that sync was "back in", when an owl exited the box on both cams.

A couple of minutes ago an owl flew right thru from front to back-right and disappeared.

• Hi Scylla. It's just visible on the back beam, I can hear the odd rasping call so could be the female.

• 00:00 Nothing else to report this evening.

Goodnight ladies :)