Autumnwatch 2013

Hello everyone! Autumnwatch live from RSPB's very own Leighton Moss begins tomorrow night, the moderating team are really looking forward to a week of wildlife on the box and we hope you too are, especially with those dark nights now upon us it is definitely something to enjoy!

We would love to generate as much discussion about the programme as possible on the communities, what do or don't you like, favourite bits, what could be improved on for next time and discussion about what you are seeing, talking nature is great fun and we can all learn something from doing so!

This will be the "official" page for talking Autumnwatch 2013, hope that's ok! The moderating team of Claire and myself will be watching every night and will be online as the programme is on and afterwards if anyone wants to have a chat or ask any questions!

Really looking forward to it!

• I can't wait to watch this when I get in from work later. I really like Nick Baker too, Lolly. He presented the 'Springwatch in the afteroon' show earlier in the year and he did a great job. I'd like to see more of him on the BBC.

I just started a Flickr feed  recently (Although I've had an account since 2011) 
    Please take a look and tell me what you think.

• Yes really enjoyed the show too, the starling murmurations are so spectacular, never tire of seeing them, amazing!! The starlings on unsprung were lovely to see, they are fantastic birds!!

• Loved it!  The starling murmuration was Magical, and I found the earth worms fascinating.  Not forgetting Monty, If I was an Osprey, I'd marry him! lol :)

• I loved the show, especially as Leighton Moss isn't too far away for me so we go often in November. We are off there in 2 weeks time. The starling murmuration is a real spectacle.

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• Called in today, got there for 8.30am and headed straight for the grit trays, only four people there and two were from the team trying to get picture of the Bearded Tits on the trays sadly I think they had the camera just a little to close, after an hour or so the heavens opened up and I headed for public hide and not a lot going on here either so when the rain stopped I carried on to Lower hide, nice walk but nothing to see only lots of pheasants sadly I was only armed with a camera! “Only joking lol“

Going into lower hide I was surprised to see no one in there so got my favourite seat and this is when I opened my first sandwich, after an hour and only seeing some Mallards and three Cormorants I headed back at the causeway I saw something in the wood on the farmers track leading up to were the team have their base and in a field with bright back lighting from the sun I saw a Dragonfly chasing fly’s these were like little stars dancing around in the sunshine, I then stopped in again at Public hide and it was full the only seat left was next to a chap who had a big video camera I asked if he was one of the team and he replied yes and was looking out for the Otters and anything else that might show up not sure if he got anything because it was getting near food time for me so after half an hour I headed back and bumped into a lad who was at the trays first thing but he stayed and after the rain stopped a little while later some Bearded Tits showed but landed on the other two trays avoiding the one with the camera trained on it sadly I think the camera was to close it was touching the try surly it must have had a good lens attached and it was remote controlled sadly they never got any pictures :(  but he did and got some  nice pictures too so he went home happy.

I got back to the car and had two more sandwiches and a nice coffee.

Seeing its nearly midnight I will post this and carry on with my next instalment later.

Good night for now.

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Forgot to mention but near to the end of the causeway I saw a chap who was there first thing this morning he had a scope so though nothing of it but with him still being there I walked down and asked what he was looking at and he said just the local birds but this was not the reason why he was there he was painting for Autumnwatch so if you see a panting of leaves on a tree back lit on Unsprung you know who saw it first lol

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Don't forget to tune in again tonight! Ben will be with you tonight. The urban fox feature looks particularly interesting.

• Yes I will be around to chat if anyone fancies it! I thought the show was brilliant, cracking to see that Barn Owl behaviour and I do enjoy a good thermal camera!

The Badger issue was highlighted which I think was important and it is worth discussing it further if you want online here: www.bbc.co.uk/.../Badgers-update-autumn-2013

Look forward to tonight!

• Carried on from yesterday.

After my sandwich’s and coffee I walked to Lilian’s hide this has been partitioned off so the team can use it for filming and other stuff I still managed to get a window seat, saw the usual waterfowl on the water still a lot to come in so will be going back again later in November, while sitting there I saw two Dragonflies fly past in tandem which I thought was a little strange for this time of year but they must know better :) after a while I walked to the other two hides the Tim Jackson and Grisedale these two were busy with  Autumnwatch being there anyway not a lot going on here so went back to the car and finished off what I had left of the coffee I then went to reception and asked the staff were the best place would be to see the Starling Murmuration and a nice lass called Mercedes, asked the others and they agreed the Starling were coming in more each day from the salt marsh so Grisedale would be the best place to see them sadly only small flocks came over the rest were still over the salt marsh sadly I would have gone there but having no place to park your car and with it not being a wide road and no verge to park on so will have to wait a little longer before they move onto the reserve.

Great program watched our recording and will be ready for tonight’s episode

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• The Bitterns are being very elusive there so far this week for the BBC cameras. I've been to Leighton Moss more than 30 times and only managed to view the Bitterns once back in the 1970's. So I count myself fortunate to have successfully viewed them on one and only occasion.

Regards,

Ian.