Out on the patch

Since moving back to Scotland in 2022 and to a much more rural location my interest in the birds and wildlife in general all around us has increased dramatically such that, I now consider I have a "patch", an area that is within reasonable walking distance that also has lots of variable of habitat and surroundings.

For example, our mailbox is one mile down a lane which has a burn with reed beds, mixed woodland, fields and ponds. Wonderful.

A little bit further afield, heading for town there are two larger burns, another pond, a golf course fields and mixed woodland, much of the land is owned by the farmer whose land we live on so wandering around on it is no trouble, the right to roam still applies in Scotland anyway but there are those (newer) landowners who have brought the "get orft moi land" syndrome with them.

So, I thought I could share my explorations and photos here, yet again I've been trying to work through the backlog and get some of it sorted, edited or deleted, my drives are beginning to struggle Cold sweat

I'm going to stick to 2024 for now and if I stumble upon something interesting beyond that I'll slip it in as I go along. 

Well, looks like I didn't go far from home in January! Very few photos outside of my regular walks and garden birds.

This shot in January is of the gulls returning from .......... whence they went!

Every morning they would fly due South from up the glens somewhere, or further afield and every evening, fly back due north again.......... hundreds of them and I've never found out why or where to and from Thinking  I used the term gulls because they seem to be mixed!

There's a field just across the farmyard that offers a fairly level and clean walk past a rough moorland area of gorse and local trees and shrubs. The farmer's wife has been planting Scots Pines, for example.

So the Pheasant was out strolling with his harem when I walked over there in February.The female Pheasant are much more wary and disappear as soon as they see or hear us so it's always nice to catch a glimpse of them.

We are very lucky to have a pair of Hen Harriers somewhere in the vicinity, I've seen both at different times working across the field behind us but I never have a blooming camera when they appear!!!!

So .....

A very long distance of the female ............. I'm pretty certain.

The white patch above the tail feathers clinched it for me but I'm happy to be corrected as ever Smile

That's it for them, so far and that was back in February, I live in hope.

There are lots of Buzzards around here and Red Kites, which seem to be growing in numbers recently and they often pass over the house which is wonderful.

They also tend to sit in the surrounding trees and on fence posts but still very shy.

Red Kite on the same fence as the Hen Harrier earlier.

I loved this next shot, although a long shot.

A Pheasant below the Kite! 

A Buzzard hiding in plain site in the tree down the field from us.

The field behind us can be a haven for all sorts

Roe deer grazing in the back field on January 1st 2024

So that's it for a start, January and February of this year, also shows me how few times I head out but, it was Winter right? 

I'll make sure I've edited all the shots for March before I start again, I know there are more. 

I hope you enjoy having a nose around the area. Slight smile

• It was a decision waiting to be made Billy, living in S Wales, in a lovely town that changed, a virus came along and everything was different. We looked for over two years, half heartedly and then this happened, quite a different lifestyle but loving it. Thumbsup

• September 22nd 2024

Well, I finally forced myself out for a walk on a gie dreich day, threw on a warmer jacket because it's a wee bit chilly out there and headed down the lane. I've been sitting at the Mac, editing and deleting photos most of the day, time to get outside.

I took a wander past the steadings and the Barn owl was zonked out in the nest box, didn't take any photos, too dark for hand held in there but I wandered on. Not a lot happened really, until I was about half way down the hill.

I'd stopped for some reason, looked away and when I looked back down the hill, there were two young deer staring at me.

"Quick, run, it's a guy!" Gone.

Then a third, male stepped out of the grassy path and did the same thing, stopped dead, stared, turned and ran.

And that was that!

I've heard that their eyesight isn't great so that helps, when they stop, stare then run Thumbsup

A Sunday treat.

PS. The warmer jacket wasn't the best idea ever, there's a pretty steep climb back up the hill, think I lost a few pounds Laughing

• Always something to be seen out there!

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• September 24th 2024 - Assault on the lane!

It's yet another dreich day in Perthshire, there's a breeze picking up but, it's not raining and it's not freezing and it has been a while since I've been up to the reservoir so, I gathered all the appropriate accoutrements and headed for the hills.

I had a stop to make at the bins so I took the top lane, always ready for something to pop up, I had the 'big boy' on the passenger seat next to me as I cruised along, head on a 360 gimbal.

Always expect the unexpected.

I caught a glimpse of something flying off down the lane ahead of me. Didn't I?

I rounded the bend and there's a small gathering of Pheasant in the middle of the lane but ........ 

I really did not expect to be attacked. Not me, the car! There were 3 or 4 female Pheasant and, rushing towards me up the lane, a semi dressed male, flapping his wings and jumping off the ground as he sprinted towards the car.

I stopped. Grabbed the camera and tried a few shots through the windscreen, I should know better a) it's filthy and b) that never works out so, as he almost disappeared under the bonnet, I opened my window and contorted myself out the drivers side.

He stood there posturing.

He's not even properly dressed!

He ruffled and strutted for a few moments, felt like ages. I was under threat here! 

But why? Pheasant vs Skoda Yeti? Really?

Aha! Trying to impress the ladies. Makes perfect sense now.

With a final look and wing flap, he strutted back down the lane.

Did you see that girls?

Girls?

All by myse e e elf, all by myself, don't wanna be .... Cry

Poor soul, headed into the field as I drove by.  Smile

• Great photo's Scozmos, worth the effort. That road looks like one my satnav would like, with grass up the middle Rolling eyes

• Thumbsup that's our lane out to the bins, mile and a half!!! Astonished

• Well, looks like I didn't go far from home in January! Very few photos outside of my regular walks and garden birds.

More brilliant photos, and I'm happy to say, making me feel very envious of your local area.

I'm sure you more than realise, nature is still just as active in winter, and with the later sun rises and earlier sunsets, giving easier access to the dawn and twilight hours, there's a lot to be observed around those times. One of those events worthy of a mention is starling murmurations, but sometimes, that might mean setting off in the dark. If you know your local patch well enough, to avoid trips and tumbles, using a suitable headtorch to illuminate your path will help give access to those moments.

One of the biggest  pitfalls of nighttime illumination is light blindness when suddenly switching out the light. That can be easily and quickly rectified by using a lower light level, along with avoiding brilliant white light and opting for red, but not infrared, to light your pathway ahead. I also use a shielded red light when setting up in bird hides.

Glow sticks can make good low light markers for obstacles that people can trip over, particularly bags, tripod legs etc, when in a darkened hide.

All this is carried over from my mountain and navigation training days, and nicely adapts to my nature watching days, post accident. 

Obviously, wrap up well, not just the body, but fhead, fingers and toes require thermal protection, to coin the phrase.

Also, if your budget will stretch that far, NV scopes, some costing sensible money, (like trailcams) will help to give an interesting new perspective on nocturnal activities. I'm currently playing with thermal imaging, after a very informative opportunity earlier this year, and discovering a lot.

• Carry on No. 1, it's just a camera!

• Great sequence of photos and story Scozmos !   That pheasant will have to change his clothing to impress the ladies  !!

Regards, Hazel