In a Scottish country garden

Hi all, I'd like to offer a bit of background to this thread, if I may? We moved back to central, rural Scotland from S Wales in 2022 and have been adapting to but loving the solitude and quiet that has brought but, for me, it's the wildlife, the birds. We are SO lucky to have birds visiting the garden that I'd hoped I might see here. Now I see most of them daily so, I have a "few" photos taken from my den, (wee box room) where I look out directly at an Ash tree and our feeders. 

So, I'd like to share some of those images here, I hope that works or is the way it's done?

September 1st 2024

As an example, as I typed this, I spotted a wee bird landing at the base of the tree, turned out to be a young Robin. Robins are a less frequent visitor so I was up and grabbing a few shots when an adult shot in and chased it off!! Typical. 

This morning, my mood was totally lifted by the first (as far as I know) visit of a wee flock of Long-tailed Tits AND, a couple stood still long enough to photograph! Bonus Smile

Set September off nicely. Thumbsup

I don't think I've had such clear shots before, they're usually at dawn or dusk and in a hurry!

Really pleased to get these shots, I'm sure there will be more, they come through more often as the weather changes. 

• Lovely photo captures;   nice to see the tree sparrow and GSW together at the suet feeder

Regards, Hazel 

• Morning  and many thanks, we do indeed get a great assortment here which also means I don't have to move too far to watch them Wink It's pouring this morning Disappointed

• Thanks  I've even been out to clean the window!!! Scream

• Morning  having the Tree Sparrows here was a super bonus for me, love it. They've just started exploring the branches against my window, brings them up close! Heart eyes

• January 8th 2024

Good morning all, dank and grey yet again up here in our bit of Perthshire, still, plenty time to sort through photos Slight smile

I have quite a backlog that I try to work through all the time, try being the operative word here. I had a "sort out" a couple of weeks back and I've just discovered I accidentally deleted several days worth from Lewis earlier in the year! Gutted, I had many, many shots of two White-tailed eagles that turned up at the local beach on my birthday. Angry

Ach well, there you go eh?

So, this goes back to January this year, I think I've mentioned the side and back of the garden, I forget to go there so these are a set I took of that area at that time.

The side hedge is often full of mixed birds, the Sparrows, both kinds and Chaffinches live in there but others drop by or hide if I'm round there. The Reed Buntings use it as a perch to survey the fields beyond.

Male Reed Bunting on the hedge

The Yellowhammers also hide out in there, if I went round more often I'd see them more.

Yellowhammer female and Blue Tit 

Reed Bunting female and friends

The hedge can be a real cacophony of bird sounds at the right times, I have a sit-on mower and when I ride by too close, there's a real racket.

There's another Ash tree round the back and that can be a great spot for the birds.

Yellowhammer female with Blue Tit and Chaffinches

The Blue Tits are always around, no idea where they nest but they are all over the place here.

I do love Reed Buntings, they were another real bonus when we moved here, I first spotted them bobbing around in the back field when it was ploughed.

Young reed Bunting male in the hedge

I can stand at the back corner of the house, the sun rises and sets towards the front so I'm in a little shadow there so get to watch the birds without too much disturbance for them.

Yellowhammer males and females

My list of "hope for" when we moved was Tree Sparrow and Yellowhammer!!! There have been a few bonuses too, I'll get to those at some point.

Goldfinches are possibly the first bird I ever noticed. WAY back in (1976-ish) I spotted some birds flying out of a shrub border alongside the road I walked to and from lunch down in Cornwall, I asked if anyone knew what they were, describing the yellow wing flashes, the person who told me was quite a surprise! 

Another bonus bird, that I hadn't even considered was the Linnet.

They gather in the back tree before heading out into the fields, I was over the moon when I first saw a flock of them but they're pretty shy so can be hard work to get good shots of around the garden.

Starling, Yellowhammer & Chaffinch

Mixed flock

Here's a wee test. What can you see in that small flock?

Or this lot? 

Linnets in the back tree

Linnets were a real bonus, I hadn't even considered seeing them in the area.

I worked my way along the side of the house, towards the front and caught this little beastie on the other feeder.

Long-tailed Tit on a feeder

They have to be our cutest bird right? I do love Goldcrests as well but don't get to see them too often, they rarely sit still Slight smile and NEVER see them around the garden.

So, moving towards the front of the house, we're back to the feeders I see every day.

Blue Tit and Coal Tit on feeders

Meanwhile, over on that side hedge again ....

Carrion Crow and Yellowhammers

The numbers of Crows and Rooks here is amazing, add Jackdaws into that mix and there are huge amounts. Now and again, but more often on my favourite walk, I'll get treated to ravens. When I lived down in Caerphilly, we saw lots of Jackdaws, they roosted all over the castle for instance, not so many Crows, I think I saw one Rook and never a raven, to my knowledge. Of course we were in a more built up area so it makes sense. All that said, I've seen one Magpie in the garden on two occasions so that's a bonus even though I think they're fabulous birds they can be a real pest.

Anyway, I hope you don't mind an introduction to the other birds we get around us. 

• I've noticed a couple of images not displaying properly but I'm not going to edit again .... in case, when I click on the symbol, the image opens anyway Thinking

• You get quite a variety Scozmos, nice photo's.

• Thanks  we do indeed, I absolutely love it, my nearest and dearest does too, except when I'm constantly running outside Laughing and back again