Pallid harrier at Warham Greens

Yesterday I was in for a surprise. At around 14:45, I was observing ringtail harriers with a crowd of people when I saw one of them fly head-on towards us, and begin circling in front of us. I spotted 4 primaries on both wings, and as a result tried to get as may photos as possible before it flew east and the trees blocked it from view. 

It was the pallid harrier. Much more slim and elegant than the ringtail hen harriers and with 4 primaries instead of 5, I also noted the orange tinge to its chest and also, importantly, the prominent whitish 'collar' around its neck. 

The pallid harrier has been here for a long time after returning for its second consecutive winter. It usually arrives very late, when it is dark. In all the excitement, I forgot to adjust the shutter speed, so all I am left with are silhouettes. But, a pallid harrier is a pallid harrier. 

Other birds seen included 3 ringtail hen harriers,1 merlin, 1 peregrine, 2 curlews, and a barn owl. There was also a great black backed gull in the distance