Brighton and hove, Rottingdean Beach

I wemt home on Thursday and stayed for the night on the way I saw we stopped at a service station and saw some swans fly round twice. I got some pictures but acidently forgot to transfer those specific photos and also forgot I put it in the pocket in the door so have left it behind so i might add those next time to show you but for now I did transfer my other photos from the holiday so iv made a post 

after the service station we went to Brighton. when I wemt to Brighton I had my appointment. After the appointment me and my family went to the Beach one of the reasons we went is cause we normaly go to the Beach either before or after  my appointment  to go in the sea or collect shells but since my Wildlife hobby started in 2019 its been also taking pictures aswell and I no longer collect shells cause I found out its advised things should be left where you found them there part of the natural environment. 

Dad forgot to check the timetable so when we got there the sea had already come right in but there was a part of the beach we could still walk across so I went Wildlife watching. we dont normaly go in Autumn we normaly go in the Summer  so it was exstra interesting. there was lots of birds unlike normal.and iv never really considered checking out the cliffs until today 

little did I know I would see a bird I havnt seen in person before yet 

there is a bird on this guess who

a Fulmar 

video of 2 Fulmars. possibly 2 parents and there is one that looks like 

a young one inside 

if the video still doesnt work click here 

https://youtu.be/mg2edxCyL_Y

• Memories of lots of family holidays, mainly in Hove before the creation of 'Brighton and Hove' with city status!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• thats interesting. what was it like before it became Brighton on hove? 

• Just the same but was two separate towns! Please amend your heading to Brighton and Hove which is correct name for the city

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• iv allways called it Brighton on hove and I didnt know they were two seperate towns once and I didnt know it was and and not on hove  but ok il correct it

• me and my family had to get up at 5:30 am to get to Brighton it was a few minutes earlyer than that though cause my Mum likes to be early rather than late. my Dad is the oposite hes usualy late. its long way to get there but I like to take pictures of birds out my window or do my hobbies like drawing, writeing  and things like that. im normaly the only one alert at a service station and usually see a bird or two. before going to Brighton I was very exited in fact before I was picked me up to go home and stay for the night I kept forgeting its not time to leave yet cause I was so exited to go. I usually stay for the night at Brighton but this time we wernt able to at Brighton the beach is why I get exited about going. apart from my appointments I have once or twice a year or seeing family we dont go anywhere other than the Beach. Iv been to Brighton Beach before but we have started visiting Rotingdean Beach instead there lots of Wildlife to see at the beach during spring and summer. of course there is at Autumn and Winter aswell and you can find birds in the cliffs as I found yesterday. 

I saw pigeons Jackdaws and Fulmar in the holes I didnt  see any other birds in the holes that day  in the Clifface 

• A nice addition to your list of birds seen, a fulmar.

A bit of a shame about the tide being in, added to that a quick check on the map, it doesn't look like there are any reserves close by, because high tides often see wading birds move to the pools for respite and food.

Do I spy a rock pipit in your photos?

• you sure do. I hadnt seen a rock pipit in person  before or in Brighton before until that day either  so that’s another bird that  I hadn’t seen in person before either. But they are common on rocky coasts and are common in Brighton aswell as the Fulmar aswell. The Fulmar I havnt seen in person before cause we hadn’t gone as far as the undercliff walk and spotted birds there before and normaly im busy scanning the actual beach itself near the rock pools and the sea  for Wildlife there but there could be other factors as to why this is the first time iv seen them aswell of course even though they have them 

• Zo Clark said:

you sure do. I hadnt seen a rock pipit in person  before or in Brighton before until that day either  so that’s another bird that  I hadn’t seen in person before either. But they are common on rocky coasts and are common in Brighton aswell as the Fulmar aswell. The Fulmar I havnt seen in person before cause we hadn’t gone as far as the undercliff walk and spotted birds there before and normaly im busy scanning the actual beach itself near the rock pools and the sea  for Wildlife there but there could be other factors as to why this is the first time iv seen them aswell of course even though they have them 

Two ticks for your list.

The only place I've seen rock pipits is Cornwall, which again is a rocky coastline, though I do know they are in many other places around the British ?/isles coastline.

• sorry for the late reply i was just busy with things for example one of them is me and my speacial needs support workers have been trying to fit in buying a frame for my bird Drawings for my Mum cause she asked if I could give them to her as a Christmas present and working on making a family member a Christmas present that could take a couple of days to make aswell so theres been lots going on cause its Christmas but my late reply aside 

yes Rock pipits can be around other places around the coastline aswell not just Brighton or Cornwall.  im thinking of weather to send my observation of the Rock pipit from Susex to the Susex county Recorder  or not. I have already sent my Fulmar observation to him combined with photos and the video. the video being helpful for him to answer some of the questions I also had about the Fulmers brhavior and things like that by  sending it. he got back to me a day after I sent it. in case you might be interested aswell as the other members I have taken a screenshot of his answers to share