Any local nests?

Hi

I want to do some nest photography.

Does anyone know any owl nests or woodpecker nests around the Rutland Area or South Lincolnshire or Leicestershire?

If you do pls comment back with a pic of the place and its location

Thanks

• Where i live is not the question. I won't reply again to this this thread!

Regards,

Ian.

• a) Photography of a bird's nest could be construed as "Intentionally or recklessly disturb any wild bird", but it depends on how far away the photographer is from the nest. The relevant words in the legisaltion are primarily "disturb" combined with "intentionally or recklessly". The probability of disturbance is relational to proximity; the closer the more likely a disturbance will be, and the closer you are the more intentional and reckless?

Therefore - always err on the side of caution.

(I'm sure that there's a photo or two of a nest site in the community postings. Nest cams? Telephoto lenses? therefore "Illegal to photograph birds nests" isn't as factual as it could be. Inserting a nestcam into a box after nesting had commenced would not be considered legal. IMO. Unless a license had been issued by a relevant authority).

b) Locating nests? Field craft, Leg work. Be careful not to "Intentionally or recklessly disturb any wild bird" in that process. Spotting scopes and binoculars are useful for remote (non-intrusive) observation. If you unexpectedly stumble over a nest site just quielty move away and without further disturbing. Unless you have a license issued by a relevant authority.

c) I'm sure there are many other grey areas.
  • 1: join a local Facebook group.

2. visit your local reserves and engage with people. Over time they will get to know you and perhaps trust you. If you can't find these targets by yourself you need people to help you out and to do that they need to know and trust you. There is no quick fix.

• I now understand the misunderstandings! Ah! no,no,no i dont actually want to PHOTOGRAPH the actual NEST, I just want to photograph the birds going to and from the nest and things like that!
  • tuwit said:
    a) Photography of a bird's nest could be construed as "Intentionally or recklessly disturb any wild bird", but it depends on how far away the photographer is from the nest. The relevant words in the legisaltion are primarily "disturb" combined with "intentionally or recklessly". The probability of disturbance is relational to proximity; the closer the more likely a disturbance will be, and the closer you are the more intentional and reckless?

Therefore - always err on the side of caution.

(I'm sure that there's a photo or two of a nest site in the community postings. Nest cams? Telephoto lenses? therefore "Illegal to photograph birds nests" isn't as factual as it could be. Inserting a nestcam into a box after nesting had commenced would not be considered legal. IMO. Unless a license had been issued by a relevant authority).

b) Locating nests? Field craft, Leg work. Be careful not to "Intentionally or recklessly disturb any wild bird" in that process. Spotting scopes and binoculars are useful for remote (non-intrusive) observation. If you unexpectedly stumble over a nest site just quielty move away and without further disturbing. Unless you have a license issued by a relevant authority.

c) I'm sure there are many other grey areas.

I'm quite sure Germain's point A:  

"(A) Illegal to photograph birds nests
    Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981
    "Intentionally or recklessly disturb any wild bird listed on Schedule 1 while it is nest building, or at a nest containing eggs or young, or disturb the dependent young of such a bird. "

was quite clear on Schedule 1 birds. Not sure your points b &c are relevant to anything Germain said. Perhaps you ought to make sure that you "quote" when replying to points. 

• Which is how I interepreted your question.

You might still need paparatzi-style lenses. Which don't come cheep.