A first visit Brandon Marsh and a boring intro

A first time visit posting, so be honest, if I make a mistake, let me know, because that's how we learn and move forward.

A little intro first

Some of you will be aware I'm recently retired, my wife still has to work, but not for much longer. I've sold my golf clubs, golf to me was work, and I'm retired, so I looked for a hobby to keep me sensibly active, and that's where photography comes in.

I’ve not used a camera properly for more years than I care to recall, though I did start with a Zenit E film camera, plus a separate light meter, and progressed from there.

I then started to look at how cameras had changed, and stumbled on Mirrorless, not something I’d come across before, though the tech is not that new, just vastly improved. A lot seems very similar to the compacts I’ve used on holiday, for quick easy snapshots, only with more impressive optics and software.

A few days ago, I had a day to myself, and thought I’d look at a nearby wildlife reserve.

There were a few cars in the car park, two looked like they’d been there all night, dew covered. I’ve since found out they belong to the reserve wardens who lodge there overnight.

Lost, no map, so it was chance a path and see what I saw. After a ten-minute walk, stopping off in each of the three empty hides, but with good views across the pool, the final one I looked in, and there was human life!

This chap, a very helpful and knowledgeable person on the reserve, was telling me what was to be seen and where, all the hide information and a lot more, but even more coincidentally, his camera setup was more or les the same as mine, R5, 100-400 lens, 2x extender (I now have one of those after trying his, a used one online, but in impeccable condition).

I had noticed that he had an NHS walking stick, though I didn’t want to ask, but as the conversation progressed, he did explain what had happened. I take my hat off to him, he’s had some challenges, though he did down play them, saying many more are worse off than he is.

I digress.

What was invaluable was his knowledge, and the time he took to help me understand many of the R5’s features.

Out of three decent photos, only two survived, I accidentally deleted one, a perfectly framed lapwing that caught the sun perfectly.

It's always good to pick an easy subject first, and there were plenty to see, Canada Goose

Uncropped

• Exp 1/1000
  • F11
  • ISO 500

Cropped

• Exp 1/1000
  • F11
  • ISO 500

Tufted duck

• Exp 1/800
  • F14
  • ISO 200

• Exp 1/800
  • F11
  • ISO 250

What I did take away, apart from book suggestions and R5 experiences, was this:

"Don't try to binge learn, you'll forget more than your learned. Take each new species one at a time, recognise it and the rest will follow from there"

That seems very sound advice, so my first new species to recognise, lapwing and tufted duck, though I was warned there are other black and white waterfowl very similar when viewed from a distance.

regards

John

• Well done on your 1st outing post John....yes easy does it with the learning because some of the birds baffle you even further with their summer or winter plumage ....
    Lapwing are easy to recognise from their call aswell "pee wit"

You always learn plenty from regulars you meet in the hides..I dont suppose the guy you met and helped you immensely was called Mike...sounds very like him as he used to post on here regularly...

Anyways nice pics and thanks for sharing.....looking forward to more of your outings ;-)

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• I had the very same thought Linda
    Pleased to meet you Tag
    Hope you have found the going mirrorless thread as there is lots of good pointers by clever and kind photographers there

Cin J

• Germain said:
    good pointers by clever and kind photographers there

And some from me Slight smile

Hi John, nice 1st post. Not sure what you meant by making mistakes in your post, unless you mean ID errors, which we've all done (me lots and lots!) as there are no rules about how a post should be. I tend to do mine as a chronological record of my day out, others may group species together etc.

If you're looking to learn about birds, invest in a good reference book or two I have WILDguides books, Link, for Britain's Birds, Britain's Dragonflies and for Britain's Butterflies, which I find very good, but a lot of people say the Collins book is the best. There are also various apps, including ones for song, if you're more digitally inclined (not sure if you'd need a wifi signal for the apps though)

The links I provided were for the first pages after interwebbing the books, so not necessarily the best price/vendor.

As Cin said, the mirrorless post is good, and Whistling Joe has posted a number of threads about camera's and settings, linked from is footer (he's posted in the mirrorless thread, and they are indexed in "Getting Off Auto"

Welcome, and have fun :o)

• Linda257 said:
    Well done on your 1st outing post John....yes easy does it with the learning because some of the birds baffle you even further with their summer or winter plumage ....
    Lapwing are easy to recognise from their call aswell "pee wit"

You always learn plenty from regulars you meet in the hides..I dont suppose the guy you met and helped you immensely was called Mike...sounds very like him as he used to post on here regularly...

Anyways nice pics and thanks for sharing.....looking forward to more of your outings ;-)

Thank you Linda, and don’t confuse me any further LOL, winter coats, summer coats, well, not yet. It’ll be like my lovely wife’s wardrobe!

We didn’t exchange names, we had a very pleasant chat we had. He almost reminded me of my late father inlaw, who loved the outdoors and spent all his working life in the country.

regards

John

• Germain said:
    I had the very same thought Linda
    Pleased to meet you Tag
    Hope you have found the going mirrorless thread as there is lots of good pointers by clever and kind photographers there

Thank you for the warm welcome.

You’ll be pleased to know I have found the Mirrorless thread, it was the Mirrorless thread that found me and brought me here. LOL

It was while doing some research on how cameras had changed, and if it was a good move to upgrade or stay with what I had. The mirrorless thread came up in a search on peoples experiences with Mirrorless, and it is a very interesting and informative thread.

regards

John

• PimperneBloke said:

Germain said:
    good pointers by clever and kind photographers there

And some from me 

Hi John, nice 1st post. Not sure what you meant by making mistakes in your post, unless you mean ID errors, which we've all done (me lots and lots!) as there are no rules about how a post should be. I tend to do mine as a chronological record of my day out, others may group species together etc.

If you're looking to learn about birds, invest in a good reference book or two I have WILDguides books, Link, for Britain's Birds, Britain's Dragonflies and for Britain's Butterflies, which I find very good, but a lot of people say the Collins book is the best. There are also various apps, including ones for song, if you're more digitally inclined (not sure if you'd need a wifi signal for the apps though)

The links I provided were for the first pages after interwebbing the books, so not necessarily the best price/vendor.

As Cin said, the mirrorless post is good, and Whistling Joe has posted a number of threads about camera's and settings, linked from is footer (he's posted in the mirrorless thread, and they are indexed in "Getting Off Auto"

Welcome, and have fun :o)

Definitely some good photos from you Mr PimperneBloke and thank you for the warm welcome, and for the book recommendations.

We have actually met, on the Mirrorless thread. That is a very informative thread, and I like the way everyone shares their experiences with good support from those who know.

Whistling Joe, a very knowledgeable chap, and he also produces some excellent photos, and videos, has been very helpful.

The ‘mistake’ reference is for ID errors.

regards

John