Gulls share your photos here

I know not everyone likes gulls. Some like gulls some don’t. But some do and they are very interesting There’s differant types. So it could be very educational and helpful for identification To have a Thread dedicated to gulls. And they have there own Complex social hirechy. 

• I thought the gull looked good in the pinky background just before the sun rose
  • Wednesday 25th January 2023 

Gull flying over the Garden 

• As part of my 'if it flies then BIF it day' some gulls on the Manor farm part of the nascent Longwater Road Nature Reserve (LWNR). We get loads of gulls on LWNR and the adjoining Moor Green Lakes Nature Reserve (MGLNR). All sorts of gulls and terns breed on MGLNR - particularly on Tern Island in Colebrook lake. Breeding season brings a raucous cacophony of noise to the area.

Matters are quieter during winter, and the large numbers of gulls tend to disappear. They do hang out in larger numbers on LWNR - particularly some of the restorer fen lands. This is not to say they wont take advantage of any water in the parts that are being restored as I type. This lot were on the semi-restored part that will become the Main Reed Beds. I tracked one bird coming in for a landing.  Note the Lapwings in the far background, resting on a spit of land.

The bird I am tracking is about 200 yards away from me. My lens was at about 370mm

The pile of soil, to the front right of the photo, is part of some extensive banking (complete with sluice gates) which will surround the main reed beds, allowing control of water levels.

Now full zoom 600mm

Now some BIF of birds closer to me

Just in case you didn't spot the Lapwing (sorry for putting them in a gull post) but here they are

90% luck, 5% field craft, 5% camera skills.

• Those are very good photos of the gulls. don’t worry about the lapwing also being in there besides it’s still got gulls in it after all.
  • Two postings in one day! Record.

Gulls having a spat around Tern island, Colebrook lake (north), Moor Green Lakes Nature Reserve. Some time in spring.

And cropped. What an expression.

Clear off.

• Those are very Good action shots 

• These were taken last year, sometime during the early breeding season.  The subject of these photos is either a highly protective parent or completely thick.  In either case, it decided to harass wildfowl peacefully swimming around its breeding area - Tern island on Cormorant lake (north), Moor Green Lakes Nature Reserve.

Something is afoot. Fast moving, low flying gull, looking for trouble.

Cropping the fiend out

The fiend gets closer still, and spots its prey

Cropping out

Lines up for attack. Note Wigeon (or Pochard) to middle left of photo. Plover island in background.

Cropping out.

Banzai! 

Cropping out. 

And...attack 

Cropping out... crash dive

Ha, one victim down... 

Disposed of that interloper  

Aftermath 

The wigeon resurfaces. What hit me?

I am the overlord of the lake. Bow before me! The power has got to his head.

After taking out the wigeon, gull heads south looking for another victim

And further still, in search of a suitable victim.

Ever onward

Lines up next victim

This time it was a coot that did an emergency crash dive

Having seen off intruders, our fiend returns to Tern island

And... touch down.

Clearing Tern island of vegetation is a perilous task. Volunteers are ferried out in a small boat. Three people, in said boat, and it sits very low. Water can lap over the gunwales. I only went once, and only then because sprog wanted on island.

• Sorry.  I missed your post on Monday cause  I was out all Morning and afternoon. Nice action shots. Gulls do tend to be more aggressive and territorial and protective during breeding season. But I think the action sequences and stuff is quiet funny

• It's a gull. That's about all I know about gull shaped birds. This one flew over me while I was walking back to my car on footpath between Moor Green Lakes Nature Reserve and nascent Longwater Road Nature Reserve. They do that a lot, flying over the footpath gong from one reserve to the other, and I get a crick in my neck trying to photograph them as they fly over me.