Photographing a Kingfisher

I'm still fairly new to bird watching  but some of my family have for years and one bird they've seen many times that I've wanted to is the kingfisher. It's always eluded me whenever I'd hoped to see one. Until a couple of weeks ago I was just passing a local park and looking at what ducks were around- I then heard a noise and looked and it was a bright blue bird skimming rapidly across the water. I could only think it had to be a kingfisher! I waited around and it later flew back across the small lake again, and then later I even spotted it diving in the corner! I went past today and thought I'd take a look and sure enough after waiting I saw it again on a few occasions! Skimming across the same areas as before, so it's great if it is a regular visitor there. 

It appears from a stream out of view which public can't access so I assume it has burrowed a nest into the banks there? I was wondering on any tips for how to photograph one. I don't have a quality camera with zoom unfortunately so it might be impossible for me. But either to get a stationary shot of it's typical pose on a branch (I saw it reappear on a stump out of the water today but as soon as I quietly approached nearer to get a photo it zoomed away), or just filming it skimming across the lake would be good too. I only have a phone camera though, unless I can find someone local to lend me a camera. I will take my binoculars next time for sure and hope I can keep up following it! But the great thing is it's far enough away that you can follow it in flight.

I forget the time I saw it the first time, possibly a similar time. But today it was between 5:30-6:20 which I saw it 4 different times. Is the evening regularly the best time to spot it, as it's hunting for it's dinner? Slight smile

It's amazing seeing one after wanting to see one for a long time (even before I got interested in bird watching I wanted to see one). And for it to be so local, rather than a nature reserve where I still haven't seen one. It is a quiet small lake with not so many walkers by which I guess might be why it's regular (and the side of the lake its on isnt accessible). Are they very shy of humans/noises and fly off easily if disturbed?

Any other advice on watching/filming would be appreciated, cheers.. 

• Morning and evening times are probably key times of the day, the first feed, breakfast, and evening, the last chance before it gets dark and they can't navigate to feed. But they will also feed during the day, so no hard and fast rules. It really is a case of being in the right place at the right time, and you know how vast that is.

There will be regular haunts, and local or regular birders will help identify those, plus hides are often a great place to sit and watch.

• I would say keep watching and try to find a regular spot where it lands - possibly on a branch or a stump while it is looking for food, then get yourself a waiting spot close without being too close, keep still so as not to scare the Kingie from landing, focus on that place and hope for the best. They do tend to have regular places where they land where they can look at the menu :-)

• I was chatting with a birder a couple of days ago about Kingfishers and he suggested if it is possible to add an extra perch or two for them he said they often like to investigate new ones; it only has to be a simple stick with either catapult shape or some form of lateral perch coming off it and it may surprise you ! that is assuming you can get near enough to a bank to add some form of perch. Can't speak about the success of it but I believe an additional new perch or two are being considered on our local parkland. Good luck.

Regards, Hazel 

• Patience and luck! Also a bit of local knowledge. As has been said,try and identify a regularly used perch (white leaves/branches under a likely looking branch are a good pointer!) and stake it out with your phone/camera at the ready. Don't be surprised to get a speck of blue way over to one side of the screen... They are even quicker through a viewfinder than with the naked eye... And they don't always fly in a straight line! Mostly, though, enjoy the experience of seeing them Grin