Some form of Beetle

Asked me to take a photo

Stonechat

Mandarin

Female Mandarin

Moorhen

Kingfisher

• Another fabulous set of photos ILR.

How lucky to see a water rail so out in the open and get such a clear photo as well. As for the beetle, it looks like a Nebria brevicollis, a form of ground beetle.

• Oh. My. Word. What a stunning selection ILR. Don't know where to begin!! You must be chuffed to bits with that array of different birds, and to photograph them all too....well done!!
    Thanks so much for sharing...you haven't made me seethe with jealousy at all!! lol
  • Jeez and I thought I had a good day out at Loch Lomond!!! What a super day you had indeed...Kingie posing nicely, A HOBBY just passed by I guess, Mandarin Ducks just seem to appear for you. Lots of super pics ILR..thanks for sharing

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Thank you Mike I got up early to be greeted with pouring rain so I headed for a venue with a bird hide so I could keep dry, but by the time I got there the rain had stopped and it had brightened up. I headed for the bird hide regardless and I was only in there for two minutes when a kingfisher arrived and stayed for at least 20 minutes and it was only about 15m away, then the woodpecker arrived and nuthatch and the mandarins after around a couple of hours I went to another reserve and that’s where I saw the hobby, not a great photo it came and went in a jiffy and was quite high up but at least I got an image of it. The water rail, the barnacle goose, and the hobby were all firsts for me, happy days
  • Yes PB chuffed is correct what with three firsts as well The hobby the Barnacle goose and the water rail, and to get all the photos I had visited two reserves in the day, I did get an early start, I think that’s the best day I have had birding and it will certainly take some beating. Thanks PB for your kind comments it is much appreciated.
  • Thank you Linda it was a bit Special having three firsts the hobby, the barnacle goose and the Water Rail and the kingfisher arrived at the hide after only two minutes being in there, and it stayed for around twenty minutes It really was a great day I had got up early and ended up visiting two reserves in the day but It was well worth it. Looking forward to seeing your post from Loch Lomond.
  • What a wonderful array of species and photos ILR, the Kingie is spectacular along with the exotic looking Mandarin ducks. A good day out by the looks of it, well done and thanks for sharing.

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks Hazel thats very kind of you to say so, The Kingfisher stayed for around 20 minutes so I had plenty of time
    to take a few photos of it.
  • What a cracking selection ILR, and such a variety of birdies as well, glad you had a lovely day out, thanks.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Thanks Catlady It was an enjoyable day I must admit and three newbies too