Fewston Reservoir

A Beautiful place for a walk

• Reservoir is running rather dry by the looks of it ILR...who doesnt love ducks coming into land...lovely sequence and ofcourse the lovely colourful waggie is always nice to see.
    Thanks for sharing ;-)

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Thank you Linda I had walked all the way around the reservoir and it was the last 20 minutes that I saw two yellow wagtails and then three herons together in flight
    The walk around the reservoir was lovely long way but lovely, It will take a long time I would Imagine for the reservoir to get back to normal level.
  • Nice set if photos ILR all the local reservoirs are looking desperate at the moment. Fewston, along with the rest of the Washburn Valley reservoirs were areas I had to visit quite often when I worked for Y W and it always made a pleasant trip away from the office. It was always a good place for Yellow Wagtail on Autumn migration but it's  hard to read these on my tablet.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Certainly looks a good spot, with a nice variety... Are they not grey waggies? Only on my phone, and goggles are downstairs!! Thanks for sharing whichever they are ILR, Grin
  • Hi Pete I have been to Eccup Reservoir now Fewston In the last week and they are both really low
    I would Imagine it will take a while to get back up to normal levels. My mistake as PB pointed out they are grey wagtails not yellow.
  • Hi PB Your right of course, they are grey Wagtails, I knew that but it was late when i posted them or was it early ?
    either way it was a long day. Thanks for pointing it out to me. I also saw another grey wagtail at Anglers Country park but I dont think you have seen that post yet ? plus your fav bird the Cormorant ?

• A brilliant set of photos ILR, Though it's normal to see low reservoir levels this time and like many reservoirs, the water level does look quite low.

• Yes ILR I looked at the pics later on the bigger screen and realised they were Grey Wags as PB says. All the local reservoirs are looking pretty grim at the moment the ones at the top of Nidderdale are very interesting from a history point of view as you can trace the line of the old roads and field boundaries so quite busy

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Thanks very much Mike, I would Imagine it will take months before water levels get back to where they were, it was my first time to this venue and there was little wildlife about that was until the last half hour of the walk when I saw three herons flying by and then I saw two different grey wagtails and some mallards but it’s a beautiful place to walk around and when the water levels get back to normal I would Imagine the wildlife will return.
  • I have decided to try out a few more venues Pete and so far so good and when you get to talk to people as you are walking round these places they tell you about other venues that they have been to and they are certainly worth trying out. It’s quite amazing what venues are available and not too far away.