Hucclecote and the field

Cabbage White

Red Admiral 

The Field 

A moth looking like bent grass

Meadow Grasshopper 

• Fabulous photos Zo, and I love how moths and grasshoppers blend so well in their environment.

• Yes I think it is very interesting. I found the moth quiet difficult since it blended in so well I only knew it was there cause I spotted it fly into a spot in the grass not far away. I had to look for the legs to see if it was the moth or just hanging or bent grass. I find it interesting how well the grasshoppers blend in aswell. In most cases I track them down by there calls unless they jump near or into the grass. I also find it interesting how a lot of them are usualy mainly green and brown which is the colour of grass and there usually found in or near grass.
  • It is possible to find them in the grass without tracking them down by there calls and I have do that sometimes aswell Exspeacially if or when there abit less active. For example there more active during warm temperatures when temperatures start to drop they become less active. The warmer it is the faster there calls. When temperatures drop or it’s colder there calls tend to slow down. Usually if you stay still in the grass you will start to notice a few perched on a grass stem. And sometimes you will notice they start to jump around nearby if you sit still long enough. Or even in front of you if your lucky giveing you a chance to take a photo. Like other wildlife they don’t like sudden movements so if you want to take a photo you will have to do it calmly. Exspeacially since if grasshoppers get startled they will leap a great distance.

With the Butterflys that was in Hucclecote it had rained earlyer but then it was quiet sunny. When I went to the field I didn’t see any Butterflys but I usually do. There was a buzzard and a Chaffinch aswell

• When tracking any species, its all about ears and eyes, plus, keeping calm and patience.

As the  line in that old verse says: "What is this life if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare". Just taking that bit of extra time, and you never know....