Buzzard calling at the field

For anyone who might be interested  Today there was a very vocal Buzzard at the field and he or she flew overhead 2 or 3 times while I was there so I recorded its call. The Buzzard called a lot. 

2678.1373.8037.8156.5700.5047.8585.7462.Buzzard.m4a

6116.5086.5466.1588.1425.1207.4744.0537.Buzzard calling.m4a

0830.4073.6710.1832.6131.6644.1460.3326.Distant Buzzard.m4a

• Quite a familiar sound to us Zo if we twist our heads a bit we can just make out the nest of our local pair.
  • Yes it is. I find I don’t see Buzzards as much as I usually do if at all during the Autumn and Winter months but during Spring and Summer I see them as much as I usually do. And is one of the things that make me exited about Spring and Summer. It might be that they spend more time hidden away during the colder months which I why I don’t see them as much as normal and in some cases at all but I don’t know. I also tend to hear them calling more around Spring or Summer than during the cold months aswell. Even though they are usually quiet vocal sometimes during spring and Summer they have been quiet quiet every time I see them when hunting during this Spring and summer this year. But yesterday they were far vocal than normal and it called most of the time I was in the field.
  • Zo your Buzzards may be finding their food in a different area during Autumn and Winter months. Maybe yesterday they were noisier than usual because they had found food in that field. The pair nearest to us seem to stay in the area all year. There is some shooting round about, not a big commercial shoot, and often they will leave dead Rabbits for the Buzzards to eat.
  • Sorry for the late reply. Yes that might be one of the reasons why I don’t see or hear them as much as normal during the winter months. Thanks. And them calling more than normal yesterday  it might be that they had found food in the field like you said. Im not sure it was a rabbit though. there wasn’t any shooting and there isnt any woods in the field. Theres Haresfield beacon AONB SSI site nearby that has a lot of Woodlands and Wildlife.  you can find livestock like sheep and cows Cow2 But also Wild Rabbits Rabbit2 and other prey.  But in the field near little Haresfield village that I was in it doesnt get Rabbits.  but it has Wildflowers and long grass and even has a bug hotel so there’s  lots of insects.  but there is lots of field voles   And a few of them get caught by dogs sometimes cause people let there dogs run around there. And they  get caught by predators aswell 

• We have a pair of buzzards here, either solo or as a pair, they are often quite vocal, as well as visual.

• That cooll. Do You see and hear it all year round or do you tend to see and hear them more during Spring and Summer?
  • Zo Clark said:
    That cooll. Do You see and hear it all year round or do you tend to see and hear them more during Spring and Summer?

The honest answer is, I don't know whether our local buzzards are more vocal in any particular season or not, so I can't really give you an answer, other than I hear them, but I don't hear them every time I see them.

There are times when it is the commotion from other birds that will draw my attention to the buzzards, who can be very silent when they want, or need to be.

• Even though a Buzzard hunts at the Field I went to yesterday I do get a Buzzard that soars and circles the thermals in the garden. and I used to see some at the Orchard nearby but I haven’t been visiting there much recently so I don’t know if there’s been any there or not. I don’t usuallt see one at the stream but have seen one once or twice. It usually hangs out around Kingsway and Stroud. In other words close locally. Which is down to the fact they Nest locally. I’m close enough to Haresfield Beacon to see it out my window cause it’s nearby. And the Liberty Orchard field is even closer to Haresfield Beacon since Haresfield village is under Haresfield Beacon. Haresfield Beacon is where they hunt.  it’s About half an hour to an hour away. They nest in the woods at in Selsley Common like the sign says over there. And you see them there very often. It could be that selsley common is a better nesting spot and Haresfield Beacon is there favourite place to hunt. I find the Buzzards in my area do get pestered by the crow family and gulls sometimes but they don’t allways. They do make a lot of noise when they do. I also find the Buzzards don’t allways call but they do sometimes aswell.