Holiday to Thorpe Forest part 2

I went on a Nature Walk activity by one of the Forest holidays people where you see what you can spot, find snakes, and look for clues and find out more about the Wildlife you can spot. Unfortunately I couldn’t find any snakes that day but the lady said you can usually see at least one. In the forest I found out there’s a tree that had fallen down but it’s roots are still in the ground and about a parasite 

The vines on this tree is actually a parasite that sucks nutrients from the tree and kills it off so the forest holidays cut the vines off so the tree can breath. 

The leaves on here arnt the leaves from the tree there the leaves from the parasite

This is the leafs from the tree and not the parasite

we came across a tree that is still alive even though it fell down the lady particularly likes cause the tree is still feeding nutrients to other trees and is holding on so is a good example of the wide web and how everything is connected 

Insect on the trees trunk. 

These are Rowen trees

Cabbage white 

• Some more nice photos Zo.

It's a long time since I've heard the name cabbage white, or as I understand it, more commonly known as the small white.

Guided walks by rangers, wardens and others, are often a good way to see the local wildlife and plant life, for they know and work the area regularly to know what is where and when.

• Thanks. Sorry for the late reply I had to go strait out after I sent the posts.
    Yes they are definitely good. I didn’t know about the parasite or the tree that fell down or about the snakes until I went for that walk. I went with my Dad but Mum didn’t want to go but he encouraged Mum to come aswell so she came and took the dogs aswell, we have 8 but you can take up to 4 we only took 3 on holiday though. Mum found that she did actually enjoy it.  We learned that you can eat blackthorn leaves and she gave it to us to try. We learned how to make a hammock in the forest and we learned how to use the flint they have there to make a spark and that you can use stinging nettle leaves to make tea and how. And then she gave us some herbal tea she made from the nettle leafs.  Aswell as looking for Wildlife to spot and learning about them. She showed me the slabs in the meadow and said the snakes bathe under the slabs but you have to be quick to take a photo. She said they get grass snakes, smooth snakes, and adders. So I checked every day to see if I can see one. On Tuesday evening I couldn’t find any but on Thursday I saw a snake but it was as fast as lightening it was gone before I had a chance to get my camara. But at some point In the week  in the morning I went for a walk before packing to leave and checked under the slabs again. Like with the slabs yesterday the snakes was under the  warmest slab. I opened the slab up slowly and saw a grass snake. I immediately took a photo of the snake before it went then I opened it fully and managed to get 2 more photos before it slithered off as fast as lightening.  before it disappeared it took a look at me then I put the slab back down and that was very Exiting. If I didn’t go on the walk I wouldn’t of known there was snakes under the slab and got a photo of one on holiday

• Zo Clark said:

Thanks. Sorry for the late reply I had to go strait out after I sent the posts.
    Yes they are definitely good. I didn’t know about the parasite or the tree that fell down or about the snakes until I went for that walk. I went with my Dad but Mum didn’t want to go but he encouraged Mum to come aswell so she came and took the dogs aswell, we have 8 but you can take up to 4 we only took 3 on holiday though. Mum found that she did actually enjoy it.  We learned that you can eat blackthorn leaves and she gave it to us to try. We learned how to make a hammock in the forest and we learned how to use the flint they have there to make a spark and that you can use stinging nettle leaves to make tea and how. And then she gave us some herbal tea she made from the nettle leafs.  Aswell as looking for Wildlife to spot and learning about them. She showed me the slabs in the meadow and said the snakes bathe under the slabs but you have to be quick to take a photo. She said they get grass snakes, smooth snakes, and adders. So I checked every day to see if I can see one. On Tuesday evening I couldn’t find any but on Thursday I saw a snake but it was as fast as lightening it was gone before I had a chance to get my camara. But at some point In the week  in the morning I went for a walk before packing to leave and checked under the slabs again. Like with the slabs yesterday the snakes was under the  warmest slab. I opened the slab up slowly and saw a grass snake. I immediately took a photo of the snake before it went then I opened it fully and managed to get 2 more photos before it slithered off as fast as lightening.  before it disappeared it took a look at me then I put the slab back down and that was very Exiting. If I didn’t go on the walk I wouldn’t of known there was snakes under the slab and got a photo of one on holiday

That's a lot of dogs, I wonder what breed(s) they are, and whether they are pets or working dogs?

Having kept border collies for a number of years, and the most at any one time was two, I can imagine the work involved exercising, feeding and grooming, particularly spring and autumn time when they start to moult between winter and summer coats.

• 1 is a Springer Spaniel called Ziggy 2 is a mixed breed a collie mixed with lots of other breeds Alfie and the rest are Romanian Rescues So were learning how to survive out on the streets. Some were thrown out or neglected while the others didn’t have owners and we’re wild street dogs anyway. 4 Lucy was found a zipped up in a bag with puppys. 5 Wilber wasnt owned by anyone but had to avoid dog catchers and learn how to dig big deep holes that he can rest in to keep warm And 6 Lola. and 7 Willow. Those 2 I can’t remember what there history in Romania was. But our new one we got last year is Max. He was chained as a puppy and had a collar that dug into him as he got older and caused bleeding and was injured before he was found and rescued. He had to get the injury’s healed before being taken to England for adoption. then we adopted him. He’s very sensitive to movement and is distrustful of strangers and has a ferocious bark and barks and growls if someone suddenly pops up or goes down the stairs and doesn’t like feeling trapped or being barred from rooms or in any other way. It’s taken months for him to get used to me, my brother and my sisster and at first I couldn’t even get off the sofa without him being aggressive due to Anxiety but he’s better now and when he trusts people he is actualy very nice and friendly and playful and just wants to be stroked. We take them for walks. and some favourate Wildlife places they go to is Liberty Orchard, chosen hill and the woods. When I help Mum walk the dogs I I take photos when Alfie goes off lead if I see a butterfly or other Wildlife which I usually do on the walks.
    Mum found that Thorpe Forest was good for the dogs and also has a hot tub outside and lots of Wildlife aswell.

• I do recall some years back there was a call to help and rehome dogs from Romania, which I understand was very well supported.

As for puppies being tied up on bags and dumped, polite words fail me, likewise with Max who had the chain around its neck. The last two dogs I had, one was a rescue puppy, she too had a chain around her neck and was left to starve. As a result, she was very nervous of humans and very insecure, but was a damned good personal bodyguard for me. So I can imagine many of the issues you could be having with Max.

The other, she was a failed sheepdog, beautiful temperament, great with people, but her only failing was she didn't like sudden bangs, and farmers often used shotguns in an orderly fashion. So a new home wasa needed for her. To be fair to the farmer, he was careful around who he let her go to, it wasn't a case of you'll do, he made sure i knew what was required look after her, even though it was one of his farm labourers that recommended me to him.

One thing I regret, is not taking many photos of my dogs, so you keep taking those photos and cherish those memories.

The attached photo was taken some 35 years ago, is the last two dogs I owned, and taken on one of the many walks I enjoyed with them, the black and white border collie was the rescue one, that was chained up while the copper brown border collie was the failed sheepdog. Both perfect companions.

• Thats a nice photo. Max was a Romanian rescue And I find he is a very good body guard. Not all Romanian rescues get saved but the Romanian Rescue charity try to save as much of them as they can. Luckily some do manage to escape the dog catchers. But they have to look out for dog catchers and be careful not to get run over. Learn how to look for insects, catch prey, and other skills required for life out on the streets. So they do save those ones before they get found by dog catchers aswell. And save the ones that have been thrown out onto the streets aswell. Our Romanian Rescues have a fear bias towards males strangers so they get scared of Male strangers more than female strangers. Me and my family think that it must be because a lot even  if not all the dog catchers they saw might of been males. but we don’t know. Wilber who had to live out on the streets and the other rescue dogs aswell had to learn to fend for them self’s and protect there food from other dogs and other things that might want it so we feed each one separately. But they all have there own unique personality’s. Wilber likes treating his toy like we caught him some food for him and he’s very shy but very very energetic and playful and likes to hide under the sofa. Lucy is very outspoken and has a proper wolf howl. And will let anyone know if there’s unfairness anywhere in the family or that she thinks is unfair and will bark until you pay attention to that. and like Wilber loves running around everywhere. Also she’s very intellegant. Willow likes to keep to herself but loves playing tug and going for walks. And will let us know if the post man has been. And They are very pack orientated which can make things quiet interesting. And Lucy will usually wake mum up at a certain time in the morning so she doesn’t need an alarm.

We only took Alfie, Ziggy and willow. we found that Thorpe forest was very quiet and didn’t run into much dogs at all, of course they did get distracted by the deer and the squirrels so would let us know if they saw one  which you could say is helpful if your looking out for squirrels or deer but unfortunately the noise can scare them away but the ones. we didn’t usually have them outside on the balcony  at the cabin unless they had food. When we went on dog walks we mainly walked them through the meadow. But I went round the cabin to see what wildlife they get around the cabin in that forest when we didn’t go for dog walks,  I did go out often to see what wildlife came out at what times during the day which was very interesting. The Speckled bush cricket was out after tea and the dark bush cricket was out much later on so I’m suspecting it came in during the night. The deer was usually more active early in the morning and early in the afternoon.  For insects there was lots of them at the cabin and they were out both morning and afternoon. 

• Dogs are generally very loyal and protective to their owners and families because they want to love and be loved and particularly so with rescue dogs. Rescue dogs will have insecurities that enhance that loyalty and devotion.

• Yes interestingly with our Romanian Rescues like Willow for example if you raise your hand they think your going to hit them so they flinch and back away. If you play a dog sound or theres a dog howling on the TV it will set them off and they will start barking and howling Exspeacially Lucy and they will go outside to look for it. With helicopters they think they can catch them so they chase it and jump up at them. and we know if there’s a stranger outside and also if the post man has been. They use smell to recognise and get to know us and each other. Ziggy smelt differant one day and the dogs didn’t recognise him even though they saw him so started woofing and howling at them. The dogs can tell if we are injured and will start paying particular attention to it Exspeacially if youv cut yourself or your bleeding. I tend to have to cover  a injury or a wound if I get injured or they will start licking it to make it better. The Romanian rescues also guard us on the sofa. If Wilber is sat with us and the other dogs wernt and one of the dogs come near us he will get defensive and defend the sofa from the other dog. The other Romanian rescues do it aswell. If your sat on the floor and one of the Romanian rescues are on your lap they will growl at the other  dogs if they go  near you even if your standing and you stroke them they still do the same. But Max is the most nervous one and the most protective out of all of them cause he’s sensitive to movement. Willow was the only Romanian Rescue we took on holiday. With what you said about Butterflys there was Cabbage Whites but they were mainly flying over vegetation on the walk with the ranger or flying over vegetation at the Cabin. I saw them everyday but I saw lots of Gatekeeper Butterflys and moths at the meadow 

• Dogs are very good at detecting our moods and wellbeing.

They are now used as assistant dogs for warning of things like epilepsy, and other conditions, the number of conditions is slowly expanding as those working with the dogs become more confident of the results being 100% accurate.

Most dogs will cower a little if a hand is raised in what they see as a threatening motion, but as you rightly say, rescue dogs will cower more so.

Rescue dogs are also more likely to defend themselves because of their insecurities, though many will only do that as a last resort.

Dogs will also be very faithful to the end, which is why it is so easy for a dog to be mistreated.