Western Supermare Beach

Black backed Gull

Bladder Wrack the bubbles have air in them that helps them float 

Another type of Wrack 

Channeled wrack 

Traces of Lugworm 

A very colourful Shell a creature used to live in.

When I was there I found an interesting rock in the middle of the beach 

which probably washed onto the shore by the waves 

there was dark rocks on the cliffs and think it’s very interesting 

• The tide was very far out but there was still some Wildlife to see.
  • The place where there is no sea twice a day!

But a fascinating place to visit nonetheless, and brilliant photos Zo.

I'm no geologist, not even taking the first steps into geology, though I did try to find if the black stone you'd found could be identified, but sadly, no joy. It's most likely be the sea water has tarnished the stone, as it can do on large rock faces that face the sea, and you mention dark rocks on the cliffs, which could and most likely be tarnished by the sea, so very likely to have come from those cliff faces.

• It is quiet an interesting one. Cause the tide isnt usually in a lot of the time most people would think it never goes in but Someone I know visited there at night and the tide was in. They said it was the first time they seen it in. So it does come in but doesn’t seem to be during the day often at all. Or at least often enough for most people to see. With western Supermare though when the tide is in it comes all the way out and the whole of the beach is covered. It can go All the way up to the wall there. I found out about the geology of the area. I found out that western Supermares cliffs are made from a type of limestone called Black limestone. And people can find fossils in the cliffs and I found out one of the cliffs are called Black cliff but that is an SSI site so people  have to follow the SSI rules if they want to look for fossils in the stone. The fossils in the stone are  of Wild Animals and plants and other species that used to live in the area hundreds and millions of years ago  Interestingly The black limestone and other geological evidence there that there trying to protect says a lot about the areas  history and It used to be volcanically active hundreds or millions of years ago. I was looking for Wildlife on the beach and the stones were scattered randomly and there was some black patterns and markings in the sand. I been trying to find out what type of rock it is I found too and I thought I’d start with the Geological History of the area as a start but I also thought it could of come off one of the cliffs and got washed up onto shore like you said Aswell and when I found out about it’s Geological History it made me think that could be the case even more so. I still don’t know what type of Rock it is yet I found there with 100 percent certainty but i think it was a start. Thanks for helping and trying to finding out weather it could be identified or not.

• Zo Clark said:

It is quiet an interesting one. Cause the tide isnt usually in a lot of the time most people would think it never goes in but Someone I know visited there at night and the tide was in. They said it was the first time they seen it in. So it does come in but doesn’t seem to be during the day often at all. Or at least often enough for most people to see. With western Supermare though when the tide is in it comes all the way out and the whole of the beach is covered. It can go All the way up to the wall there. I found out about the geology of the area. I found out that western Supermares cliffs are made from a type of limestone called Black limestone. And people can find fossils in the cliffs and I found out one of the cliffs are called Black cliff but that is an SSI site so people  have to follow the SSI rules if they want to look for fossils in the stone. The fossils in the stone are  of Wild Animals and plants and other species that used to live in the area hundreds and millions of years ago  Interestingly The black limestone and other geological evidence there that there trying to protect says a lot about the areas  history and It used to be volcanically active hundreds or millions of years ago. I was looking for Wildlife on the beach and the stones were scattered randomly and there was some black patterns and markings in the sand. I been trying to find out what type of rock it is I found too and I thought I’d start with the Geological History of the area as a start but I also thought it could of come off one of the cliffs and got washed up onto shore like you said Aswell and when I found out about it’s Geological History it made me think that could be the case even more so. I still don’t know what type of Rock it is yet I found there with 100 percent certainty but i think it was a start. Thanks for helping and trying to finding out weather it could be identified or not.

I know you do have a very sensible head on your shoulders, and are very good with your research, and I enjoy reading your findings, and you're probably more than aware that the tide on the River Severn is one of the highest in the world, I think it's the second highest, with a high high tide and very low low levels, if that is the right description.

So beware, it will come in very quick and ebb just as quick.

The tidal flow is generally twice daily, though some days it will be once in a day. That is because and the following info is very crude, but enough to give you an idea, the tides are not every twelve hours, they are around on average, but not set in stone, around every 12½ hours, give or take 15 mins, and sometimes a lot more, each way.

I use EasyTide, from the Admiralty, which only gives a seven day predictiction, but meets my needs and covers quite a huge number of locations, as well as ports, around the UK.

https://easytide.admiralty.co.uk/

Though there are many other sources to obtain tidal data, and some predict the year ahead, and some even longer.

I had heard of black limestone, but never really looked in to its whereabouts,

Now here's something you'll love playing around with, and may even give you an idea of what you saw geology wise, from the British Geology Society: a map of the UK 's bedrock.

https://www.bgs.ac.uk/map-viewers/geology-of-britain-viewer/

Have a look at the BGS Map directly, click HERE, and home in on Weston-super-Mare.

You know whereabouts on the beach you were, so zoom in and try to locate that part of the beach and see what you manage to find out.