The Heatwave and Wildlife recently

So guys I dont know about you but this heatwave has been felt in East Gloucestershire in The Cotswolds for sure where I am I went out with my parents this morning and we sat in the shade cause it’s too hot for the dogs and a Blue Damselfly landed on my hand while I was looking for some Swallows and other Wildlife. I couldn’t get a picture of it though cause it landed on the hand with my camera in. I been going out in the heat but havnt been able to stay out for more than half an hour without getting too hot to stay out without feeling under the weather. My bedroom is 2 floors upstairs in the roof where the heat rises so when it gets hot it gets really hot. I had my window open but that wasnt enough to cooll my bedroom down. When I was outside I had a green Weevil land on my arm while I was giveing spiders a alternative home to the Garden chairs and table for the people I live with. I’m guessing my body might be cooler than the the air and the sun and of course sweat is water which they need during such intense heat like us.It was 26 to 28 degrees Celseus and Grass started drying up and leafs on plants started going brown. A plant that onlyOpens when it’s sunny only just came up and was wide open One of my pond plants that only open when it’s sunny had partly dried up and started To Wilt. Wildlife are really feeling the heat just like us 

Interestingly after I filled the Bird bath up I saw this leaf which rather than going 

Green then red or yellow then brown is both Green and brown instead and you

can see the veins underneath on the light green part 

This is the Weevil that landed on my arm 

• Zo Clark said:
    Wildlife are really feeling the heat just like us

Absolutely.

We'll have 30 degrees here today at 840 m above sea level. And it will be 34 Celsius lakeside on Sunday. Night-time temperatures up to around 20 degrees.

Yesterday, every second Crow sitting with its beak open. And, sadly, a fair number of dead Blue and Great tits in nests.

Soon, the Cormorants will be doing their massed high-altitude flights, up in cooler layers. A strange sight.

Don't know how Community members in the UK manage it, where you seem to have to have a pretty old house to get any protection against the heat.

But then, it's only mid-June. And we have it on reasonable authority (300-year-old shepherds, kind of thing) that this year will be a hot one, particularly July and August.

Hang on in there.

• In reply to Dave - CH:

I will. Interestingly though the heat that we are getting where I am is comeing from Iberia. I don’t know if the north are getting the heatwave but I know the East will be and I know Gloucestershire has got it though. you know you said you don’t know how us Community Members in the UK manage it are you outside the UK?
  • In reply to Zo Clark:

Yes Zo. Mrs CH and I live in Switzerland (so, the Confederation Helvetia, which explains the "CH").

When it's hot it's hot. When it's cold it's cold.

And both are taken seriously.

We're fortunate to own an old house that was extremely well thought through when it was built (by the grandfather of an acquaintance of ours), and is pretty easy to manage heat- and cold-wise

One of my sisters lives in the UK, in a nice little 1930s-built semi. But... with no shutters, which would be pretty much unthinkable here in "CH". No shutters on your windows it like not having a front door. Or a big, cold cellar.

• In reply to Dave - CH:

Thats interesting I didn’t know CH stood for Confederation Helvetia,

• In reply to Dave - CH:

Its 12:40 now and it’s reached 28 degrees Celsius and it’s going to be very high in half an hour  but luckily it is breezy aswell

• In reply to Zo Clark:

Find a cool spot.

I'm off to get some of the animals in.
  • In reply to Dave - CH:

Ok. Will do. That sounds like a good  idea to me If it’s almost 30 over here then I bet it’s even hotter where you are

• Nope. I think you're probably a little hotter than we are today.

We've the occasional breeze, which seems to help.

Sparrowhawks are circling up with the swifts; not hunting, just floating around.

Looking forward to being out at 3:00 am on Sunday; will probably be the coolest moment of our week.

All the best -
    Dave
  • In reply to Dave - CH:

I must of got Switzerland confused with Spain. Neither me or the people I live with have been able to go for a walk anywhere or get out of the car. We have only been able to go for a drive with the air conditioning on since Its too hot to be walking out and about. Someone I know who doesn’t usualy get burnt got burnt yesterday and they were only out for 5 or 10 minutes. I don’t normally get burned and havnt been burnt so I think they were just unlucky. It was 26 degrees yesterday and today is 28 so its definitely hotter than yesterday. The Wildlife in the Garden have been rather drawn towards my bird bath and other water sources today. Today a Woodpigeon flew towards my bird bath and bent over and put his head strait in the water then left as quick as he came. So he only stopped by for a drink. not even for food or a bath. I got something for the insects to drink out of and the Ants were really thirsty today they were weary at first but then they were ok and they all had a drink one at a time 

I have a frog frog in my pond and even he hasn’t stuck his head out of the water cause it’s so hot and he usually comes up in hot weather 

• In reply to Dave - CH:

Guess what its 18:58 and its 29 degrees celseus now. I’m going in the sun sometimes but makeing sure I spend time in the shade. If there’s ones other thing Iv noticed aside from Wildlife being exspeacialy thirsty and my frog not comeing up is that There has been a lot more Butterfly activity. Iv had a Butterfly stay in the garden this morning when Iv only had Butterflys pass through every now and again this year. And I had a small blue butterfly pass through the garden this afternoon also Iv seen lots and lots of hoverflys.