• Well, this thread on the 'Herring Gull' looks a bit stale. However!
    I've a 'couple' 'ground nesting' at my "doorstep" (which I no longer use whilst they are there) and 4ft from my 'driveway' which I access from my 'side entry'. Also, about 4ft away from the public footpath. This causes a dilemma as to how best to manage the situation with the least stress to the gulls?
    Please advise.
    Best regards, Ray.
  • Well, this thread on the 'Herring Gull' looks a bit stale. However!
    I've a 'couple' 'ground nesting' at my "doorstep" (which I no longer use whilst they are there) and 4ft from my 'driveway' which I access from my 'side entry'. Also, about 4ft away from the public footpath. This causes a dilemma as to how best to manage the situation with the least stress to the gulls?
    Please advise.
    Best regards, Ray.
  • DartRay I think you may be expecting some official advice from your request but this forum is a bit more casual than that. It is a site for advice yes but more likely to be users own views. The thread heading was for Zo to show their own photos
  • Heres some better photos of what a Herring gull looks like 

I managed to get these ones later down the line 

For your dillema Your doing the right thing by not useing it while there there cause otherwise it 

would disturb them and once they have stoped nesting you will be able to use it again 

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/advice/gardening-for-wildlife/animal-deterrents/gulls/urban-gulls-and-the-law/

Im not sure about your dilemma though. 

Il think about it But you could  try and see if anyone else has any ideas 

for now 

https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/wildlife-questions/p/addpost

Or you could phone or email the RSPB who might know even better and ask how to go about it 

https://www.rspb.org.uk/about-the-rspb/get-in-touch/contact-us/

• 'Soz' if I hijacked your thread Zo. I didn't mean to.
    I'll stay quiet if this is what you want.
    Kind regards, Ray Dart.
  • No. Don’t worry You didn’t hijack my thread as such. You just didn’t know that there was different categories. You don’t need to stay quiet . I don’t mind comments. People do comment on my posts sometimes it’s just that no one has commented on this one. Besides it was an important question after all. The reason there’s different categories is cause it makes it easyer for people to navigate the forums that’s all. I have done another post on gull photography aswell that month anyway so it doesn’t matter. When I said Il think about it I just meant Il try and think of a way around it but I have given you the link to one of the forums called ask a Wildlife Question where you can Post a question and the community will try to answer it. Just click on the link then Type and Press send. If you run into any probloms let me know and Il try to help out. If no one can think of any ways around it then you could try Contacting one of the numbers in contact us and they might be able to help.
  • RayDart I'm surprised that you have not had any more advice on dealing with your problem gulls. Myself I cannot think of anything else you could do if you can manage it until they fledge then hopefully they will leave you in peace.

• Thank you for your patience.

I honestly believe that there's nothing I can do to secure the safety of this couple in their current situation. I keep a dish of water topped-up nearby and feed them fish daily, though I know I shouldn't encourage them to nest where they are, so as they don't see me as a threat to their habitat when I need to pass by. They now seem to accept me as a benign influence.
    However, I doubt the offspring will achieve 'fledging' because we have a fairly high population of 'urban fox' where I'm situated. The adults may well survive, but I have my doubts for their offspring.
    I've contacted the R.S.P.B. by phone and it seems that there is no resolution to this problem that can conform with current legislation. It's left to 'nature' and I'll just need to 'clean up' the aftermath. :(
    This 'hands off' approach should be taken 'elsewhere', but I firmly believe that some form of 'intervention' should be permitted in the/a scenario such as which I'm faced with.
    Kind regards.
    Ray Dart. (don't know how/why my name got 'reversed' here)
  • Ray the "official " response does not surprise me at all