Camera bag issues

I know this isn't strictly wildlife related but I don't fancy joining a photography forum just to ask one question. Though I've added a photo of a willow tit that I took a few months ago just so this post isn't so boring :) .

So we bought my dad an expensive Rab coat last year that he seems to like, but he won't wear it because when he wears his camera bag (it's like a large rucksack with thick straps), the straps constantly slide off the slippy coat material. Is there anything he can do/use to stop it happening so that he will wear his (damn expensive) coat? He wears his camera bag most times he goes out for a walk which is a lot of time to be not wearing it! 

Thanks.

• Hi. Someone like Peak Design sell straps I think, that have a rough side and a smooth side to the strap. Other camera bag companies are available
  • Larger rucksacks generally have a chest strap that clips across the front to stop exactly your problem. If his normal bag doesn't have such a strap, you may be able to improvise one out of some webbing and clips. Like this one on the Lowepro site
    cdn.lowepro.com/.../camera-backpack-lowepro--flipside-iii-lp37350-pww-cheststrap.jpg
  • Whistling Joe beat me to it.

As a former hill and moorland walker I'm familiar with RAB gear, which in my opinion, is quality gear, and many other brands. The reason why I mentioned I was a former hill and moorland walker is because all good rucksacks, which these coats/jackets/fleeces etc are designed for, have chest straps to prevent a heavy pack falling off your shoulders.

If the chest strap doesn't appeal, have a look at the full range of Lowepro packs on the following link.

https://www.lowepro.com/uk-en/camera-bags/camera-backpacks/

• Thank you all. I don't think his current camera bag has a chest strap, I'll have to check when I get home from uni. If it does, it's just a case of convincing him to actually use it (he's very fixed in his ways), and if not, then at least there's a Christmas present we can get him (he's too tight to buy one himself).
  • When I was daft enough to enjoy running in the hills some of the better sacs had chest or sternum straps which kept the shoulder straps from slipping which worked well on lightweight bags some of us just used a webbing belt to do the same thing, a cheap simple solution
  • I've just changed my name to Goldcrest, if anyone's confused. Sounds a bit more credible than Basil Cat.
  • Hi! thanks for the lovely little tit photo :)

There are a few grippy tapes you can put on the insides of straps (silicone, rubbery, ridged fabric, padded, etc) that will help, and you can also get velcro wraps which are basically grippy padded squares which can fold around the straps and then velcro together to keep them in place. If you want any specific recs i can get some links.
  • Arthur N said:
    Thank you all. I don't think his current camera bag has a chest strap, I'll have to check when I get home from uni. If it does, it's just a case of convincing him to actually use it (he's very fixed in his ways), and if not, then at least there's a Christmas present we can get him (he's too tight to buy one himself).

A lot of folk underestimate the advantages of chest straps, and most of us have sloping shoulders, so if those straps are a little wider than midway across the shoulder, they will slip. Some struggle even if the shoulder straps are close to the neck due to the slope of the shoulder.

If your dad does have another camera bag with shoulder strap, another thing to look for is a waist belt, again an underestimated feature.

As someone who used to use rucksacks a lot, (I used to be a regular mountaineer,  hill and moorland walker, plus camping) the knack to setting up a back pack of any form with waist, shoulder and chest straps is to start from the bottom, the waist belt.

The waist belt take the weight, while the shoulder straps assist the weight distribution for the centre of gravity.

The shoulder straps may have two sets of adjusters on each strap, the top set, to be adjusted after the main shoulder strap length adjustment is to adjust is to set the centre of gravity by moving the pack nearer or further away from the spine.

Finally, the chest strap, to hold the shoulder straps comfortably on the shoulders.

I note you're at uni, most uni have a mountaineering club, so you may be able to ask someone there if they can help you set your dads pack up.

• Thought I'd post an update. Checked his bag, it does have a chest strap/buckle. I tested it out wearing his coat and lo and behold, it didn't slip in the slightest. Apparently he just hadn't looked for it. At least the problem's solved, though I've got to think of some other Christmas presents now.

• Job sorted Goldcrest nice one. Some of us blokes are awkward to buy presents for so good luck with that one.