Tonight's Moon 2020; share your photos here

• December: Cold Moon (30th Dec 03:28)

In December, winter sets in and the Full Moon is called the Cold Moon. It is also called Long Nights Moon, and the Moon before Yule.

In ancient times, it was common to track the changing seasons by following the lunar month rather than the solar year, which the 12 months in our modern calendar are based on.

For millennia, people across Europe, as well as Native American tribes, named the months after features they associated with the Northern Hemisphere seasons, and many of these names are very similar or identical.

The Cold Sets In

December is the month when winter truly begins in most of the Northern Hemisphere. Most of the ancient Full Moon names are related to the low temperatures and darkness of December. The most common name is the Cold Moon, while another is Long Night Moon.

The Anglo-Saxon name was the Moon Before Yule, which is the ancient celebration around the winter solstice. The December Full Moon is also called Oak Moon, while a Celtic name was Wolf Moon. Today, however, this name is more common for the January Full Moon.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• From yesterday

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• OK, perhaps I should have been in bed by midnight, and Santa would have visited, instead of flying up and away....

Merry Christmas everyone, wherever you are and whatever you're doing

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• From earlier this evening..before the snow arrived

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Tonights photos 29th December 2020

• and another here ...  taken last night

or the one I sent to one of my lovely neighbours ......

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to HAZY:

HAZY said:

It was a super moon, I couldn't grab a decent photo here it was too bright!

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to Mike B:

Thanks Mike, I don’t think I got my settings right but it was absolutely freezing and I wasn’t going to stay outside altering my settings any longer for fear of turning into an ice block.
  • In reply to i love robins:

i love robins said:
    Thanks Mike, I don’t think I got my settings right but it was absolutely freezing and I wasn’t going to stay outside altering my settings any longer for fear of turning into an ice block.

You were very close, the moons surface is perfectly clear.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler