Tonight's Moon 2020; share your photos here

The moon, not an easy subject to photograph.

However, during last years thread; Tonight's Moon 2019; share your photos here, there were some very good photos taken and shared, so to continue the theme, I've started the 2020 thread.

https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/photography/200488/tonight-s-moon-2019-share-your-photos-here/1269266#pifragment-4285=1

Earlier tonight, the cloud was for once particularly thin, allowing the evening moon to shine through for me to grab a photo.

The full moon, which is around 10th January, and known as the Wolf Moon, the name given to the first full moon of the year, mainly because wolves are supposed to howl more with it being the mating season. Incidentally, foxes tend to be more vocal December to January, for the same reason, so I'm inclined to believe the same for wolves.

• Michael B said:
    Psst, advanced warning, you may need to buy Karl a camera, and binoculars.....

Hello Mike,

first of all thank you very much for your kind words.  I can hardly wait for Karl being old enough for sharing our walking experiences with us. At the Nursery they are already "talking" about animals (as good as 2-3 year old children can talk). Two weeks ago they talked and learned about squirrels, and last week about birds (mostly blue tits and great tits). On friday the children made pastry for the birds. Karl is already interested in wildlife. And you are right about the camera and binoculars: We always have our binoculars in the kitchen, so we can have a quick look when we see something in the garden. Karl frequently tells us that he wants to have it. And he already has seen me so many times with my camera.... when he can snatch it, he does. He doesn't know how it works, though..... Quite in contrast to my husband's mobile phone: Although it is locked with a password, it is possible to use the camera. So Karl has already taken dozens of pictures of his own feet. Your "warning" is quite right: In my opinion binoculars are something that any boy should have, if he's interested in nature. And a camera might help Karl develope his own point of view at nature. Well, thank goodness is Karl just 2 years old, so we still have a little time for these things.

How sad that you are no longer able to take longer walks. I do so much hope that Karl will be as fond of walking as we are.

Kind regards, Bente

• The next full moon, the "Snow Moon" is getting nearer, Sunday 9 Feb in the UK to be more precise, and the moon earlier tonight was making quite a clear appearance, unlike what seems to be in store for Sunday, cloud and showers....

• Hello,

not full moon yet, but over here in Germany we are expecting heavy storms tomorrow, so I don't know if we'll be able to see anything. Because of this, I took the opportunity today. We ( my little son Karl and I) watched the moon at 5:30 PM, shortly after appearing above the hillside opposite to our house. The moon was beautiful, but I was only able to take 2 or 3 acceptable pictures: Karl was pulling at my trousers because he wanted to see the moon himself. So I let him stand on the windowsill (holding him, of course!!), where he happily pointed at the moon and said something like:"Moon is walking" (he has already understood that the moon moves across the sky).

I hope that all of you forumites in Great Britain won't suffer under the storms. Just take good care of yourselves.

Kindest regards, Bente

• Lovely clear photo Bente, and  do I spy young Karl in the others?

Thankfully here we were ok, but I know quite a few parts of the UK, particularly the west and north west took a battering.

• OK, as expected, the weather didn't play ball, it was cloudy for the full moon, though I did manage to get a photo a couple of days before and the following day.

....and the following morning, on the drive to work, I think some one may have got a little carried away!

• Michael B said:
    Lovely clear photo Bente, and  do I spy young Karl in the others?

Hello Mike,

thank you for the compliment! With Karl so close nearby, I had to take the picture through the window that as shut ( and full of Karl's fingerprints). So getting a decent picture was a challenge. And yes, it was Karl on he ther two pictures I though I might show you his interest for the moon. I will certainly show him your snowman-moon-picture, because apart from sun, moon, stars, firework and mobile phones, he loves snowmen, too.

Over here, we didn't suffer much under the storms, either (thank goodness). Just lots of leaves and twigs on the road. By the way: I have learned that over here the storm had another name. In Great Britain the storm was named "Chiara", and here in Germany it was named "Sabine".

Take care, Bente

• You're welcome.

To me, a storm is a storm, it doesn't need naming, the date is adequate.

Here it can, well for me, get a little confusing, as the storms approach, we use their American name, then as it gets close, it changes to the name given by the Met Office!

It keeps life interesting.

• The waning moon, seen early morning on Tues 18 Feb 2020

• For many in the UK, the next full moon will be 9th March 2020, around tea time.

This moon is also known as the Worm Moon!

It is known as the Worm Moon, because it's the last full moon of winter earthworms are supposed to come out of hiding from the cold.

Other names the full moon of March is known by are: Crow Moon, Crust Moon, Sugar Moon among many others. The Anglo-Saxon name is Lenten Moon, because it appears during the period of Lent.

• April’s full moon is known as the Pink Moon, mainly because of the appearance of pink flowers around this time of year. It is also known as the Pascal Moon, from which the date for Easter is set each year.

The next full moon is 8th April around 03:35

The photo below is of a new moon from a couple of nights ago.