Tonight's Moon 2020; share your photos here

The moon, not an easy subject to photograph.

However, during last years thread; Tonight's Moon 2019; share your photos here, there were some very good photos taken and shared, so to continue the theme, I've started the 2020 thread.

https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/photography/200488/tonight-s-moon-2019-share-your-photos-here/1269266#pifragment-4285=1

Earlier tonight, the cloud was for once particularly thin, allowing the evening moon to shine through for me to grab a photo.

The full moon, which is around 10th January, and known as the Wolf Moon, the name given to the first full moon of the year, mainly because wolves are supposed to howl more with it being the mating season. Incidentally, foxes tend to be more vocal December to January, for the same reason, so I'm inclined to believe the same for wolves.

• Hello Mike,

thank you so much for the thread for 2020. The following pictures were taken in Germany on January 10th, shortly after moonrise, at about 6 o'clock PM. I live in a small town in Saxony. The pictures may look a bit "shaky". This is because I didn't use a tripod, just leaning as steadily as possible at the livingroom-window, with an impatient 2-year-old boy beside me, who was eager to see the moon himself. The moon looked just great with the clouds all around. Just a few minutes earlier it had been even better, behind a tree. But I didn't manage to get a decent picture then (what a pity).

Well, anyhow.... I hope you get an impression and enjoy.

Kind regards from Germany, Bente

• Great pics Bente, very moody ... good to see you here!
  • Great photos everyone and love the latest pics from you Bente; can't believe Karl is two years old already !!
  • Unknown said:

Hello Mike,

thank you so much for the thread for 2020. The following pictures were taken in Germany on January 10th, shortly after moonrise, at about 6 o'clock PM. I live in a small town in Saxony. The pictures may look a bit "shaky". This is because I didn't use a tripod, just leaning as steadily as possible at the livingroom-window, with an impatient 2-year-old boy beside me, who was eager to see the moon himself. The moon looked just great with the clouds all around. Just a few minutes earlier it had been even better, behind a tree. But I didn't manage to get a decent picture then (what a pity).

Well, anyhow.... I hope you get an impression and enjoy.

Kind regards from Germany, Bente

Bentte, you're welcome, and thank you for sharing your wonderful photos with us. The cloud sets of the atmosphere perfectly, and as for needing a tripod, depending on what camera you have, very often you can manage to get very good photos without a tripod.

And Karl, what a lovely age, its great when children can be so inquisitive. Our son, now 22, was the same at that age, and we as parents spent as much time with him, showing him things, involving him, allowing sensible hands on, and even learning ourselves.

I'm a former hill and moorland walker, no longer able to walk like I used to thanks to an inconsiderate motorist who didn't stop at a red light while I was on a pedestrian crossing, which resulted in me having major leg reconstruction.

However, when our son was a few years old, he wanted to join me on the hills and moors, so I got him the gear and took him out with me, and he loved it, even today, his favourite photo is standing next to me on the summit of Snowdon when he was 7.

Psst, advanced warning, you may need to buy Karl a camera, and binoculars.....

• Super photo PB, you're working that new lens well. Thumbsup

• Thanks Mike, trouble was I forgot to change settings when I got to the river later, had to delete probably a dozen pics lol
  • PimperneBloke said:
    Thanks Mike, trouble was I forgot to change settings when I got to the river later, had to delete probably a dozen pics lol

We've all been there before, not changed the settings and had to delete photos. At least you got a stunner. Thumbsup tone2

• Not quite a nighttime moon, but definitely a morning moon....

and zoomed in, even some the branches still managed to photo-bomb!

• Its a little over a week now till the next full moon, known as the Snow Moon, also known as the Hunger Moon by some American tribes.

But before then, here was the moon around tea time Thursday 29 January