Testing out EF 200mm f2.8 L USM MKII lens and comparing it to EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM

As promised,  I tested out two Canon cameras and two Canon lenses and tried to keep the conditions the same with focal length for both lenses at 200mm

I took 4 sets of photos;    using Canon 5Diii and Canon 7DmkII   each in turn with either the 100-400mm mkII with IS.  and the EF 200mm f2.8 L USM MKII lens 

So, I'll start with Canon EOS 7D mkII    (EF 200mm f2.8 L USM MKII Lens)

7D mkII   (EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM)   focal length set at 200mm

Canon EOS 5DmkIII  (EF 200mm f2.8 L USM MKII Lens)

Canon EOS 5DmkIII  (EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM)    focal length again set to 200mm

although the focal length is 248mm with the next one, it is to show the difference with the same butterfly taken with 200 f.2.8 and 7DmkII

Took me forever to sort the photos out with having to separate into four different sets    !!     Conditions were very mixed, dull one minute and bright sunshine the next but I chose the more shady stumpery area deliberately as this would prove a better test for the lenses.    

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• Thanks for all your hard work Hazel they are all very impressive showing just how good all the lenses and both bodies are.

Love the setting too and the one of the little Blue Tit looking up in bewilderment is a cracker.

I think you have also made my mind up for me lol

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

Glad to help Alan  !   I'm really pleased with the gear I've got and the combination of lenses;  at the moment I have left the 100-400mm on the full frame 5DmkIII  to give it a try out further.     Tomorrow, we have the Tour of Britain cycle race coming through our town (and round the corner from our house) twice  !!   I will try to get a few photos as they come powering through.    Camera speed settings on increase methinks looking at how fast Bradley Wiggins and Mark Cavendish go   lol  

I have more photos taken (out of test mode) yesterday with some more shots of the birds looking up in bewilderment  lol  so will try get those up at some stage.    Also the lollipops returned today and have some close ups of them and the tit members.    (Can't call the LTT's tit birds as they are not !  )  

Regards, Hazel 

• In reply to HAZY:

Hi Hazel, an interesting set. To make a more meaningful comparison between the two lenses / cameras  its worth knowing the distance to target and the settings used, was IS on the 100-400 etc as they will indicate the available range for each lens under the same conditions. Though i don't need to be convinced how good a lens it is

----------

Cheers,

Bob

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobs_retired_now/

• In reply to Bobs_Still_Retired:

Bobs_Still_Retired said:
    was IS on the 100-400

yes, IS was switched on that lens although I realise maybe I should have switched it off to do the comparison with the 200mm which doesn't have IS !   but both focal lengths were set at 200mm

Regards, Hazel 

• In reply to HAZY:

HAZY said:

was IS on the 100-400

yes, IS was switched on that lens although I realise maybe I should have switched it off to do the comparison with the 200mm which doesn't have IS !   but both focal lengths were set at 200mm

[/quote]
    It depends what you're proving though - if you have IS on the lens & would normally have it switched on, then I'd say leave it on as part of the comparison.  Otherwise you're in danger of trying to prove that in perfect conditions, the optics in this lens are just as good as that lens rather than showing how much better in everyday use one is compared to the other.  Fascinating stuff though, thanks for doing the comparison.  It's reminded me I was going to do one with the 600/4 & 300/2.8+2x after we touched on it with the GoA thread.  Going to have to find time to try it now!

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

• In reply to Whistling Joe:

Look forward to your results WJ,  by the time I had all my 4 sets of images merged, even with Exif data it took me a while to organise them into the different test groups but pleased I took the challenge as I can see how good these two lenses are even when compared closely to one another.  Not sure I'd be able to lift the 600mm that you have but I'd give the 300mm a go  :)

Just wanted to say thanks again WJ for all your work on these very informative threads that you have created and when you get time !  I'd love the idea of an additional "accessories" thread - no pressure  lol      

Regards, Hazel 

• In reply to HAZY:

All lovely shots Hazel, throw in your 100mm macro and you’ve got a bagful of fantastic gear to cover most occasions.

My bird photos HERE

• In reply to Paul A:

Thanks Paul,  the 100mm is another superb lens as you know and I'm lucky enough to have a 24-105 mm lens which was included at a discount price when I purchased my 5DmkIII so more than enough to keep me very busy and happy !   I remember my brother (who is a photographer by trade) once saying to me  " having one lens will lead to you wanting another for your kit and it won't stop there "  .... and how right he was  lol    

Regards, Hazel 

• In reply to HAZY:

And now another query, does anyone have a good landscape lens, I will be keeping my 7D so was going to look at a lens for that so I don't have to keep swapping lenses.

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

Will let the experts answer that one for you Alan but reviews seem to be good for this lens without breaking the bank totally   !      For some reason I can't do the link chain to website on here so I've copied and pasted the web-link ......................................

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-canon-ef-s-10-22mm-f3-5-4-5-usm-lens/p1005844?cm_mmc=google+-+warehouse+cameras+%26+lenses-_-wex+-+lenses+-+canon-_-lenses+-+canon+-+canon+ef-s+10-22mm+f3.5-4.5+usm+lens+-+bmm-_-%2b10-22%20%2blens%20%2bcanon&mkwid=sabbszwdh_dc&pcrid={creative}&kword=%2b10-22%20%2blens%20%2bcanon&match=b&plid={placement}&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=bing%20-%20wex%20-%20lenses%20-%20canon&utm_term=%2b10-22%20%2blens%20%2bcanon&utm_content=bing%20-%20lenses%20-%20canon%20-%20canon%20ef-s%2010-22mm%20f3.5-4.5%20usm%20lens%20-%20skus%20-%20bmm 

Regards, Hazel