Out Of Focus. Updated 09/11/13

Looking for some advice and possibly some tips regarding zoom lens and focusing at distance. As usual nothing is ever straightforward. I was kindly given a damaged lens(Sigma 170-500mm 1:5-6.3APO DG) with the instructions ‘if you can fix it you can keep it’. The lens mount was hanging off the lens and the internal switch to change from manual to auto focus was, and still is broken. I managed to set the switch to auto focus and secure the lens mount back on. The lens now works fine but on auto focus only. I have had great results when shooting garden birds at relatively short distances (where auto focus is advantageous due to the rapid movements of the small birds), but cannot seem to get sharp pictures when trying for more distant subjects. Even on bright days with high shutter speeds and using self-timer, I am getting good exposures but always lacking sharpness. I realise that this lens is more at the budget end of the market for such things and was not expecting spectacular results, but was hoping for decent images at distances of 100m or so. Has anyone had similar problems like this and would any of the following make any great difference?

1. Would having the lens repaired professionally so as to be able to use manual focus at distance be worthwhile?(possibly at much expense)
  2. Would buying a 1.4x teleconverter bring things in closer to aid autofocus? (Realising that I would lose 1 stop of aperture).

Camera used is a Canon EOS500D.

I would very much appreciate any tips or advice anyone might have regarding this.

Many thanks in advance

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• Thanks again Alan. Appreciate the encouragement. Right place at the right time. Advice regarding the test shots was also a major factor. Has really helped me a lot.

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• Stich said:
    Can't add much in way of advice, but most Sigma lenses are a bit 'soft' at full stretch. (sorry Sigma users, me included)

I can't say I've ever been really imprssed with my Sigma 120-400. I bought it in March 2010 & it soon developed a fault & had to go back, at the time there was a general recall. It was over 2 months before the company I bought it from sent me a new replacement (they were very very good & helpful). This 2nd one lasted until September 2011 when it went back for repair (same fault as first one). This repaired one went wrong at the end of 2012 & the dealer was great & repaired it free. However it's now out of guarentee so the next fault & it's a bin job. I'd never buy another Sigma. The problem is what to replace it with when the inevitable happens?

The photos often have a soft look which may be nice for some things but not much good for birds. My OH has a Lumix bridge which produces really crisp photos but can't compete with the 400mm at long distance but does better then my 18-200 zoom on static wildlife. 

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Hazel C said:

The problem is what to replace it with when the inevitable happens?

Canon's 100-400L.  Every 2nd Canon user in an RSPB hide can't all be wrong!

:-)

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

• Hmmm, I think I know what's happened Bob.  If you remember, Paul said the mount was disconnected from the rest of the lens.  Obviously he's glued it back on upside down :-)

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

• Been reading the last few posts with a huge grin on my face. Glad to be of assistance in giving you all a good chuckle to yourselves. Wondering if there is a wee bit of reverse psychology going on here......ahem...

ps love what you did with the image Bob.

Paul

My bird photos HERE