2012 SUMMER MIGRANT ARRIVAL DATES

Hi-

here we go again-

16 03 12     King's Lynn    Garganey   

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Went back to where I saw the solo swallow yesterday and was rewarded with a total of 4.

• First house martins this year at the Lodge high up over the old heath.

Warden Intern at Otmoor.

• Gor our first Wheatears today on the Pennines above Bradford also a couple of Twite,not migrant but good bird to see.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Haven't been out + about too much over the hols but have been keeping eye's open + ears tuned in - no migrants not even when we were in Kent.

Still not heard any swallows but was watching a river close to home looking at Dipper when I scanned a field of ewe's and lamb's, first glance nothing, second sweep, loads of Swallows dashing around just over the grass + beasts. Too far away to see but they were defenately heading up the valley, even in the north winds + hail showers.

Do they travel in wee extended family groups or neighbouring 'nestees'?

Still no sand martins through which is odd.

Think this seems tobe a late year for me sighting migrants. Hey ho!!

'In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks'  John Muir.       

Excuse wobbily dyslexic spelling!

• Unknown said:

I was watching at gibralatar the other day and watched sparrowhawks, kestrels, bee eaters, booted eagles, black kites and marsh harriers back in as well as swallows and swifts. Amazing how they make the crossing and know the shortest routes ( most birds were actually coming in at tarifa, - few miles away!)

I did not realise Gibralter was so good in the Spring migration,we had always considered going for the Autumn migration.We still hope to get there oneday.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• 14 04 2012   Barn Swallow    Wisbech

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• I'm jealous! Our swallows which nest under the pier on the Thames here still haven't arrived yet!  

:-(

Seriously thinking about trying harder!

• 20 04 12 - they finally arrived today, and are already re-establishing themselves under the boat pier! What a relief!

:-)

JD

Seriously thinking about trying harder!

• I got our first Yellow Wagtails on Monday (23rd April) on our local reserve also 2 suspected White Wagtails among about 12 Pied Wagtails passing through,the Yellows were stunning looking birds the colours were vibrant.

Pete

• First Swifts back 28th April, same day for the last 3 years