Cuckoo

Didn't know where to put this news.  Hope I got it right.  Today 21 March I heard at least one cuckoo in my nearby woods.  The calls were coming quick and fast, maybe more than one, maybe just a single enthusiastic youngster.  I'm in rural France just a little west of Geneva in Switzerland.  This is the earliest cuckoo I've heard in 20 years.  Hope all goes well for the errant mum.

Papillon

Quote from my Gran from when we were irritating youngsters:  "If you can't help, don't hinder".  Good advice indeed.

• Unknown said:

Hello Bella, do you mean this one,

In April I open my bill
    In May I sing night and day
    In June I change my tune
    In July far far I fly
    In August away I must

That is indeed the one...thank you Brenda !

• Hi Papillon

Great to hear the cuckoo at anytime but it is really early to hear one already.

Robert

• Hi Papillon. One of favourite holiday destinations is Corsica. We went there a couple of years ago in May, and Cuckoo's were all over the Island. I don't know what their host bird was, there were no Meadow Pipits or Dunnocks that I noticed.

Looking forward to hearing them again.

There are 9000 species of bird on earth. Let's keep it that way.

• Thursday 24th March - heard a Cuckoo this morning whilst walking dogs on DARTMOOR,  West Devon, England.

Area - Plasterdown, near Pew Tor on the outskirts of Tavistock Devon PL19

Have heard Cuckoos here in previous years, but this is early, but we have had exceptionally mild, good weather recently.

• Hi Papilon

only just joined.but i am fascinated by cuckoos  the average arrival date here in the northwest of england is 18th April earlier in southern england.cuckoos can be confused with collared doves occasionally.  It is not that unusual too hear cuckoos earlier in france. iam awaiting the arrival of my first cuckoo with great excitement .usually arond the 14th of this month at ainsdale nature reserve

cjbeady said:

Does any bird expert know anything about the speed of the cuckoo's call?  The only one I heard last year, on only one occasion, was a very slow cuck......coo.  What I heard yesterday was a very quick series of calls, but unmistakably those of the cuckoo.  Over to those in the know.

Hi Papillon

The cuckoo changes its call in speed and tone as the breeding season progresses. In the early part of the Spring it is faster and higher and later on it is slow and drops in tone. Great to hear at any time though and something to treasure in your memory for the winter months.

CJ

[/quote]

• How lucky are you big ziggy

Cant wait too hear my first cuckoo.going on holiday to forest of dean so hope to hear one next week

• I've been hearing a Cuckoo here in Dorset for several weeks but this year it seems to be calling much more than previous years. I think there is only one calling, is this a good or bad sign? Does it mean it is having difficulty in finding a mate?

Until a few years ago I heard several in the Forestry Commission land in which I walk dogs & even saw one but the following winter the area was clear felled & I haven't seen another but have heard possibly a couple calling, now, only one.

• Hi CAB and other readers.  In the dim and distant past I remember hearing or reading that the female cuckoo calls after she's laid an egg.  If true, she may be calling for another mate to help continue the breeding cycle.  Can we ask those terrifically helpful and knowledgeable contributors to put us both right on the subject please?  Many thanx in advance.

Papillon

Quote from my Gran from when we were irritating youngsters:  "If you can't help, don't hinder".  Good advice indeed.

• Unknown said:

Hello Bella, do you mean this one,

In April I open my bill
    In May I sing night and day
    In June I change my tune
    In July far far I fly
    In August away I must

Here is another one from my childhood

The cuckoo comes in April, he sings his song in May, he changes his tune in the middle of June, in July he flies away

isn't wild wonderful

• Hello all

There is a glorious bluebell wood(woodland Trust) called Everdon Stubbs. You can almost be sure of hearing cuckoos there. We heard them last Wednesday, and even saw one flying from tree to tree in a glade, but the frustrating thing was he was too obscured by leaves to photograph, We go every year about tgis time and so far have always heard them. If you can get there give it a go.

It in in Northhamptonshire

isn't wild wonderful