Cuckoo

Didn't know where to put this news.  Hope I got it right.  Today 21 March I heard at least one cuckoo in my nearby woods.  The calls were coming quick and fast, maybe more than one, maybe just a single enthusiastic youngster.  I'm in rural France just a little west of Geneva in Switzerland.  This is the earliest cuckoo I've heard in 20 years.  Hope all goes well for the errant mum.

Papillon

Quote from my Gran from when we were irritating youngsters:  "If you can't help, don't hinder".  Good advice indeed.

• Oh what an exciting sound. love to hear cuckoo's calling. I don't get to hear them every year but what a thrill whenI do!! Was lucky to hear quite a few when in the Breckon area of Wales on hols!!

'In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks'  John Muir.       

Excuse wobbily dyslexic spelling!

• I haven't heard a cuckoo in years - I hope our move to Devon rectifies that.

• Kezsmum said:

I haven't heard a cuckoo in years - I hope our move to Devon rectifies that.

I'm sure it will. I can give you some inside info as to where you are most likely to hear them. Are you far from Dartmoor ?

• clare b said:
    I'm sure it will. I can give you some inside info as to where you are most likely to hear them. Are you far from Dartmoor ?

I reckon about ten miles to the northern edge of it, maybe a little less:-)

• Hi Alan,

Boringly, the French for cuckoo is coucou ( which translates into English as neckneck in case anyone's interested).  Does any bird expert know anything about the speed of the cuckoo's call?  The only one I heard last year, on only one occasion, was a very slow cuck......coo.  What I heard yesterday was a very quick series of calls, but unmistakably those of the cuckoo.  Over to those in the know.

I hope some of them make it to the UK and don't all stop here.  Not that I mind them, I love them, but all you enthusiasts should be able to share.

Regards, Papillon

Quote from my Gran from when we were irritating youngsters:  "If you can't help, don't hinder".  Good advice indeed.

• Hi butterfly, oops sorry papillon. We don't usually hear Cuckoo up here in South West Lancashire until May. Is it normal to get them so early in France?

There are 9000 species of bird on earth. Let's keep it that way.

• Good morning Budgie.  I've lived in this area on and off since 1976 and never heard a cuckoo so early, that's why I found it worth reporting.  It's also usually May.  Various parts of France are host to groups of British expats but none seem to be registered with this website so we can't extend our search yet.  My closest birdwatching friend moved with his family to Australia and never mentions a cuckoo.  He told me the rhyme:  Cuckoo in April, cuckoo in May, cuckoo in June and then she flies away.  They were also from Lancashire originally.

Anyway, this may be a good year for the cuckoo.  Keep your ears peeled!

Regards

Papillon

• delyse g said:
    Does any bird expert know anything about the speed of the cuckoo's call?  The only one I heard last year, on only one occasion, was a very slow cuck......coo.  What I heard yesterday was a very quick series of calls, but unmistakably those of the cuckoo.  Over to those in the know.

Hi Papillon

The cuckoo changes its call in speed and tone as the breeding season progresses. In the early part of the Spring it is faster and higher and later on it is slow and drops in tone. Great to hear at any time though and something to treasure in your memory for the winter months.

CJ

• cjbeady said:

Does any bird expert know anything about the speed of the cuckoo's call?  The only one I heard last year, on only one occasion, was a very slow cuck......coo.  What I heard yesterday was a very quick series of calls, but unmistakably those of the cuckoo.  Over to those in the know.

Hi Papillon

The cuckoo changes its call in speed and tone as the breeding season progresses. In the early part of the Spring it is faster and higher and later on it is slow and drops in tone. Great to hear at any time though and something to treasure in your memory for the winter months.

CJ

[/quote]

A very very long time ago my Dad taught me a rhyme about cuckoos...which I have promptly forgotten. One line I do remember from it though was "In June I change my tune".

Does anyone remember the beginning ? Think the last 2 lines are "In July away I fly" & "In August away I must"

• Hello Bella, do you mean this one,

In April I open my bill
    In May I sing night and day
    In June I change my tune
    In July far far I fly
    In August away I must