Waxwing Invasion Continues in The Northeast.

Not as many birds compaired in the area compaired to several weeks ago.

But there's still a few small flocks about if you know where to look.

The birds are now feeding on Rose Hips after they have wiped out all of the Rowans, Coteanaster and Hawthorn berries.

Hopefully everyone has managed to catch a glimpse of these stunning birds?

Regards Buzzard

Nature Is Amazing - Let Us Keep It That Way

• Hi Buzzard

These are excellent photos too! :-)

I'm with Jef: I haven't seen any either. No waxwings and no redpolls. I need to relocate!

Best wishes Chris

Click Here to see my photos

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 23/01/2011 05:48 in reply to Woodpecker

Hi Buzzard

Great to see your Waxwing photos once more... and that you have them so close to your area

Fabulous photos once more, and thank you for sharing with us here.

Still had no luck with Waxwings her but still got my ear to the ground so to speak.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• There was a flock in the centre of Newcastle today (28th Jan). They were in the Camden car park near Northumbria University's City Campus East.  They were feeding in a tree full of berries just next to the bridge over the central motorway. I completely took me by suprise so I didn't have a chance to get a picture. They were still around this evening when I came home so may be there tomorrow.

• Buzzard said:

Thankyou eveyone for all the kind comments, Jane there has been numerous sightings in Cumbria. Not sure how close to you?

They're moving upwards, downwards and across the country. The back end of next month will be key depending on the weather and wind directions as to when they head off back to Scandinavia.

A few more pics from the vast collection.

Regards Buzz

Hi Buzzard

I have been lucky enough to see some but my pictures were not as good as yours but what an experiance anyway, the third picture reminds me of something my mum used to say to me as a kid. "Youe eyes are bigger than your belly" I did like (and still do) like my food ;o)

Shane 

Regards Shane

My Photos in Flickr.

• Stunning photos, stunning birds. Lovely

• Hi,

Saw a flock of around 100 waxwings in Leeds 16 yesterday afternoon - stripping the berries from a tree.

• 45 were reported at washington wwt's carpark of all places......

i've been everday since and not spotted one.......... :-(

stunning photo's (like someone said before) of stunning birds.

thanks for sharing..

paul & jo

• Beautiful!

Be nice - one world for everyone.

• Hi everyone, I'm a brandnew member just joined today! Today I saw 40+ waxwings in my garden. I live in Bolton in Lancashire, and I saw waxwings last year in my garden about the same time of year. A neighbours garden has a large cotoneaster bush, and a long cotoneaster hedge which is still covered in berries. So I think that the waxwings must have remembered this hedge from last year and were feasting on the berries to give them the energy to get back to Scandanavia? I assume they are on their way back home now? The resident mistle thrush was not too pleased at the invasion. I took lots of photos of the waxwings but they're not as good as the ones on the website, but I do have a lovely photo of the resident sparrow hawk which drops into our garden and snacks off the birds I feed. So I'll try and put that on this site.

• Abi B said:

Hi everyone, I'm a brandnew member just joined today! Today I saw 40+ waxwings in my garden. I live in Bolton in Lancashire, and I saw waxwings last year in my garden about the same time of year. A neighbours garden has a large cotoneaster bush, and a long cotoneaster hedge which is still covered in berries. So I think that the waxwings must have remembered this hedge from last year and were feasting on the berries to give them the energy to get back to Scandanavia? I assume they are on their way back home now? The resident mistle thrush was not too pleased at the invasion. I took lots of photos of the waxwings but they're not as good as the ones on the website, but I do have a lovely photo of the resident sparrow hawk which drops into our garden and snacks off the birds I feed. So I'll try and put that on this site.

Hi, We live in Lymm in Cheshire and we saw a small flock of Waxwings in our Berry bush (sorry dont know the correct term for the tree) last Thursday, we were absolutely amazed and what a beautiful bird.  There were about 7 in total, they came back again a few days ago but as the tree was bare they didnt stay around for long.