Bird call at night

Can someone help identify this bird call? I've tried many avenues but without success. Thank you in advance.

And how do I attach the sound file?

• To identify a bird call, day or night, you can search for an online site, of which there are many. Two to mention are:

Click here for RSPB and use the search box

Click here for Bird Song UK

Alternatively, you can use one of  many apps via Google Play or The App Store on a smartphone

One which some of the regulars here use is the Merlin Bird App. The RSPB also have an app to identify birds with.

Finally, to upload a file, depending on your text/reply box layout, look for the Insert tab, located either at the  top or bottom of the text box, then follow the instructions below

1. Select "Insert"
    2. Select "Insert image/video/file"
    3. Where it says "From" select the source, "Web (URL)/File upload/Community search"
    4. When you've made your selection, select "OK" to post/upload, or if you've selected the wrong file/link etc, then select "Cancel"
    5. To select the next file or link, start the above process again and for subsequent uploads.

1. If you use "Web (URL)", then all you need to do is insert the link
    2. When you've made your selection, select "OK" to post/upload, or if you've selected the wrong file/link etc, then select "Cancel"
    3. To select the next link, start the above process again and for subsequent uploads.

I hope the above helps.

• Thank you for the information. Tried Merlin but didn't recognise it.

I've now attached the recording. Thank you again.

• Hi Peter

Almost certainly a Tawny Owl and most probably a youngish one still begging for its parents. Here's an example of one calling

Lars Edenius, XC918303. Accessible at www.xeno-canto.org/918303

The problem with Apps like Merlin and others is that they only have the most typical calls so don't cover the full range of vocalisations that many birds have.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream