Sounded like a raven, flew like a duck

Whilst in a forest near the Forest of Bowland a couple of weeks ago, I heard what I thought was a raven - a very deep crark, crark sort of sound

Then a bird flew overhead  and I was struck by the sound of the wind through its feathers and by the speed it was flying above the trees (very fast)

It was about raven size but I didn't get a good look at it as it was mostly obscured by foliage and I could only see it in silhouette against the sky for a couple of seconds.  It was still calling as it flew.  Any ideas anyone?

• Further detail: I was in a wood and I heard a very deep crark, crark from behind and above me. I looked in the direction of the sound but couldn't see anything because of the overhead canopy.
    The bird was calling every few seconds as it flew over my head (and the trees) and I followed the sound although I still couldn't see anything.
    Then quite a way in front there was a small opening in the canopy and I saw the bird in silhouette from behind for about a second. It was flying very fast with rapid wingbeats, like a duck, and that's what I would have guessed it was except for the sound, which was very deep and similar a raven.
    The way it was flying was not in the least like a corvid so I'm sure it wasn't a raven but some kind of duck, but I can't think of any duck (or small goose perhaps) that sounds like a raven! I say small goose because the type of call reminded me of a skein of geese flying overhead and calling to each other to maintain contact, although there was only a single bird that I saw and only one bird calling

That's all I can tell you - I just hope someone might come up with some suggestions as I'm baffled
  • We had both Gadwall and Tufted Duck calling in flight on a local site today and they sounded a bit croaky. We also heard and saw Raven, rare in this lowland patch, which was not that different from the ducks.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can