Large dead bird

Hi 

Does anyone have an idea of what this could be? It’s head is bottom left of the photo. It is fairly large and pictured next to a telegraph pole. 

Thank you!

Daisy 

• Hi Daisy, Sorry you found a dead bird; I'm wondering if it is a juvenile Tawny Owl but not 100% sure so wait for other more expert opinions.

Regards, Hazel 

• I tried to make it into an Owl Hazel but I'm not 100% sure what it is. My only advice to people finding dead birds is to be very careful of touching them and if Avian Flu is suspected ring DEFRA help line

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Yes, I wasn't sure either what bird it was for sure Pete and you are absolutely right with advice handling any dead birds especially if they are suspected cases of AF which should be reported to DEFRA    Hope its nothing like that that killed this bird as the spread of the AF is quite concerning. 

Regards, Hazel 

• Yes Hazel I was surprised by the item on Springwatch the other evening when they said it has spread to the seabird colonies off the Scottish Islands. It look horrific. The dead birds remind me of the dreadful scenes with myxomatosis in Rabbits

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• It really is extremely worrying Pete; I hadn't seen Springwatch and news of the latest spread to the Scottish islands. I will never forget the myxomatosis disease and what effects it had on the poor rabbits; even a few years ago I found a very sick and blind rabbit which I picked up and took to the park rangers office as dogs were beginning to harass the poor thing.

Regards, Hazel 

• Yes the myxomatosis got so bad locally a small number of us would go to the reserve in an evening and put the suffering Rabbits out of their misery as quick as we could

Pete