What bird is this?

This has been recorded in Trowbridge, Wiltshire, England.  Can anyone identify it?  I've only been hearing it for the last week or so.

• Which one, nicodemus_uk? There are a few calling or singing in there...
  • I think they mean the melodic song - which is a Blackbird.

It also sounds like a human whistling - but Blackbird's can mimic human whistling.
  • The bird roughly playing the notes CDCAB slight pause FD. I don't know if that will help. The notes are in pitch order, A is the lowest note and F is the highest note.. It would be nice to upload the sound clip I made of me playing it.
  • In reply to nicodemus_uk:

It does, yes.

As rspbailey wrote, it's a Blackbird. (Although it does sound exceptionally human to me.)

We have a fairly local Blackbird that definitely sounded human when we first heard it sing; but it's a bird. Just whistling a signature we didn't know.

Easier to distinguish a closer range, and this sounds quite close, nicodemus_uk.
    Best if you're so close you can tell if it has a beak or lips.

I've often thought that one can tell which birds a Blackbird's been hanging around with. Some can sound horrible like Orioles when they try.

Dave
  • It sounds very much like a Blackbird to me,I tried the notes on the guitar and even Mrs S agrees with that

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• In reply to Seaman:

I hope that you too sound exceptionally human when you play the guitar, Pete (but of course you do).
  • Of course Dave it's what Mrs S fell for in the local folk club nearly 50 years ago
    We have a couple of human sounding Blackbirds here at home, one seems to start with something like "scooby doo" and the other starts like "hurdy gurdy" I'm presuming these sre the same two birds we have had present for a while

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• In reply to Seaman:

Never doubted your musical skills, Pete.

Not sure what Mrs. CH fell for. I think she just wanted my cigarettes.

Perhaps "hurdy gurdy" is passed on. Or covered by other, admiring birds?

• In reply to Dave - CH:

Bit like Hendrix doing Sgt Pepper's live the weekend the album was released.