Could this be a swallow tailed kite?

My friend saw this bird in Evington Park and took the enclosed photograph.

On the identifier it says it is a red kite, but because of the white markings, he thought it might be a Swallow Tailed Kite.  If it was a swallow tailed kite, this would be very rare.

Is it possible he saw a swallow tailed kite?

Helen

• All we need is a Norwegian Blue to put in an appearance

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Am New here , have so many questions to answer, over next few week?. but first, I tried to answer here a few times, but not having been member? could not. Now I have Joined, I hope it works? let me know please, or ask me questions,
    You may have heard of me lately, The I spotted a swallowed Tail Kite in my local Evington Park. Osy
  • Osy the main questions are - Did you take both pics that Helen posted in the park? If so, why does the larger picture, of the Swallow Tailed Kite, appear to have been taken on a computer screen?
  • Ohh just checking if this works, will get back
  • Ahh yes, My last attempt before did not travel. I am not that computer wise, same with my camera, though I love snapping, and it bit of altering. ( its my old age mind )
    First, I promise my pics are not Screenshots, I did take them there in Evington Park, and yes as I am want, I cropped them, and sharpened and improved? the colour a bit, its what I do..
    Oh and not thinking much about about them pics, as I do. I kept one of each and deleted the rest.,
    It was not till later that I looked up to find I had both a Red Kite and a Swallow Tailed Kite, and on checking found lots of interesting facts about that WTK. mind you thats where the many problems started, and I had no idea what to do.
    Well after some time looking into subjects of my STK I decided to get in touch with Letter page of the Leicester Mercury., OK one ( and only ) wrong I did, in all of this, is, as it was some time later , I said I took the STK the other day,
    and I put I took Picture in/over Leicester Town. ( mind you Evington is Leicester, town, or not. my only Lie? in all of this.
    But then the copy all started, As both The Leicester Mercury, and the Evington later id not use my original pics, but did stock ? pics..
    Oh I remember I guy here said they saw my Mercury article, but though it was sillyof me not to had added a Pic>? Oh come on, If you still have that Mercury, LOOK, there on that same Letter Page Was a very Large Picof a STK.
    OK B, getting round to your latest 2 Questions,. There has been lots written about The Pics both in the Mercury and the Evington Echo, They were not the pics I sent them, They were Stock Pics or what ever one calls them, But when I got in touch with Helen, Editor of the Echo, she did enter here my Original ( well cropped etc ) pics, you must have seen my Pics ?. Both taken by me. Oh maybe only the STK was sent. as that was the one in question.

OK guys, my simple pics were what this none Bird man, ( but love shooting Pics, animals, and buildings , maybe the odd bird etc. I am happy to answer questions, but cant be much more help. sais what I know/remember.
    Yes biggest mistake not realising what I had got.
    One other thing, When I knew what i had snapped etc, and where STK live, one though I had was maybe it escaped from a bird sanctuary over in the UK ?, and another guy later came up with the same though. So why have Owners not put us all out of our miseries, surly they would Search on line, RSBP ?.
    Well anyway these are my Facts and thoughts. and in closing I can but again say I did take that Pic of STK. Honest Osy
  • I wrote a What I thought was interesting, to both Leicester Mercury, and my local, EVINGTON Echo., After all, Having, in the end worked out the Bird I saw and snapped turned out to not only looks lovely, but it’s story I found out was very interesting, even to a not bird man, yer I love photographing animals, and birds during Lockdown, This Old guy has not much better to do at this time, The fresh air and exercise.
    Well having found out what I found, I thought be nice to write and send pic to LEICESTER Mercury and later the EVINGTON Echo.
    Sad to see they both did a nice article, but both used a stock photo of STK, ok it was a little better, but mine was Ok. Then it really took of, so many bird people asking questions, Bird people. I am not a Twitcher, or birder, but was / happy to help, best as I can,
    But so many strange questions, First a guy said he saw my Mercury Letter, but said something derogative, about why I had not added.a photo of said bird ?, I did reply that if he looked at my arrival again, there, right beside letter was a very nice big photo of STK. ??.
    As best as I can,, I have answered so any questions, Had great help from Helen, editor of Echo, She explained to all about photos I sent, having been changed by stock pics, and Helen sent copy’s of my STK, the real think, The Pics I took in EVINGTON Park.
    Yes my photo was not as good and I had improved them by cropping, sharpening them and a bit more colour. It’s what I do, but I am not much about cameras, Just love a simple camera that takes good pics, by my standards, so many mistakes, I take pics, find best, work a bit on it, and delete others, ( not knowing what special Pic I had. So I only have that one STK , did, never have, even done, a screen shot.
    So in answer to your question, at last, What to I want? What outcome ? Ever thought about that, Well would be nice to know I have seen and snapped a rare bird. But also always happy to answer guys Questions.. OSY
  • It’s pointless endlessly discussing who put stock photos in the local paper, that is completely irrelevant to us and clouds the issue.

You are clearly not aware, but there are national rare bird news sites which report rare bird sightings, every day, yet no one else has seen or reported this major rarity for the Uk, a bird which would have attracted hundreds of visiting bird watchers from all over the uk. The ‘local twitcher’ who spoke to the County Recorder identified the bird correctly as a moulting Red Kite, which strongly suggests that he only saw one photo, the smaller one that Helen eventually posted, and did not see the photo of STK, or he would’ve been incredibly excited to say the least, and certainly would have reported the bird nationally.

Without credible evidence from other sources I’m afraid I can’t believe STK was seen and photographed. The photo Helen originally posted was obviously not a “screen shot” as such, but very obviously photo taken of a computer screen displaying a photo of a STK.

This thread needs to be deleted IMO.
  • OK, where is the usual Authorities please.
    No one else has mentioned that to me. Thanks
  • Osy google bird recorder for your district and let him/her have your pics and details, be interested in what reply you get

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can