Small brown bird, black/white tail.

I wonder if anyone could help id a bird my daughter and I saw whilst on a bike ride near Wye in Kent. Unfortunately I did not have a chance to take a photograph so I realise it's a long shot.

Size: slightly smaller than a blackbird, slightly larger than a goldfinch.

Colouration: a rusty brown back, similar to that of a Jay, no other obvious markings. Front was slightly paler than the back. Bill was thin and dark. The thing that caught my eye was the black and white tail feathers which were more obvious in flight.

Flight: short bursts of about 20m landing on the road, the flight pattern was similar to that of a tit.

The habitat was open field/hedgerows, there were a few ditches with small patches of reeds. Unfortunately there was no song to be heard.T

Thanks in advance

• Hi Sam

It sounds like an autumn plumage Wheatear. Check out this video to see if it matches.

It doesn't show it so well on this video but when it flies it displays a bright white rump

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• If the wheatear doesn't match (it probably does because of the similarity with the jay's colour), possibly a linnet? female maybe, if there was no obvious red patches. Colours sound right to me, including white in the tail, but the only thing that doesn't match is the bill, which I wouldn't describe as thin. See what you think from pics and videos online.