Unusual Small Brown Garden Bird with White Tail - What is it?

Please see attached images/video.

Small brown/rusty colour bird, around the size of a Robin or Sparrow. Top of tail completely white, extending up its back about half way.
Was seen ground feeding then flew up on fence post.
Sorry for the poor quality images, they were taken on a phone through an upstairs window in a hurry. 

Video on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93817odWAb0

• Hi there, I'm thinking either Dunnock or Robin with very unusual pigment problem, am no expert but this will bump up your post to bring it to attention of others!
    Helpful BTO site here with link to notify if you wish ... www.bto.org/.../leucism

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• I agree with Wendy as it looks like a leucistic Dunnock

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to HAZY:

Thanks! After looking at images of leucistic Dunnocks, I believe you've hit the nail on the head.
    We have regular Dunnocks in the garden quite often, so another is not a surprise (apart from it's unusual colouring!)

Thanks again.
  • I can't buy dunnock. Look at the conical seed eater's bill.

The structure is bullfinch like.

Happiness is an adult Hen Harrier that hasn't been shot, trapped or poisoned. Happiness is a rare commodity in the English uplands. 

• Great info John, I hadn't looked close enough at the finch like bill, always good to learn new tips on ID.

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to John B (not the sloop either):

We have the occasional chaffinch visit the garden too, and looking at images of leucistic chaffinches, it could possibly be one of those?
    (Image below not mine, taken from the web).  The white seems to go halfway up its back like the bird I saw. 

• In reply to flilot:

Looks like a pretty good match, though the OP photo shows quite a stubby bill and a dumpier build generally. It may be the angle of the photo itself.

Happiness is an adult Hen Harrier that hasn't been shot, trapped or poisoned. Happiness is a rare commodity in the English uplands.