Mystery bird, no picture yet

Hi everyone,

new to this so please bear with me :)

Today I saw what I thought at first glance was a Robin. On my second glance I noticed it was about the size of a Thrush, only it had a red throat/chest and NOT a red face too like a Robin.

I have hunted all over the net and am now toying with the idea that it's either a red-throated thrush

(which is a rare visitor to Britain - I live in Kent) or a very odd robin/thrush type hybrid of some description.

Everytime I spot it I try to get a mental image in my head, (it's usually foraging on the ground near long grass by my kitchen window and then disappears back into my very overgrown apple tree) I grab my camera and it's gone again lol

I'm really hoping to get a photo soon, and will post it if I do.

I should also mention that it's back, wings and tail are what I can only describe as the same colour as a female sparrow, and under the red chesty bit it's white, hence I first mistook it for a robin. He also has what I can try and describe as a white line on edge of the wings (the bit of the wing that sits and rests on his belly - I'll call it an elbow for want of a better term lol)

I'll keep you posted, but if you have any ideas meantime please feel free to chip in  :)

Many thanks

Ali.

Good things come to those who wait :0)

• Would that be William the concur ? :)  Hastings wader count co-ordinator ?  ( TEL ; Hastings 1066 )

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

•  

Here we go again - a serious thread degenerating into mild lunacy.

No I think it's Harold of  'Arrow. That's one in the eye for you.

TJ

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Unknown said:

Here we go again - a serious thread degenerating into mild lunacy.

No I think it's Harold of  'Arrow. That's one in the eye for you.

TJ

Hehehe, it's like the drive home after a good days birding, you all relax and giggle after finding the birds :)

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• I think I have spotted one of these birds in Northamptonshire.
    Thrush size and pale red under chin and top of breast.
    The bird fed off red berries.
    Roger
  • I have seen a Thrush size bird with pale red under chin and top of breast think it’s a Red throated Thrush.Feeding on red berries.
    Roger Northants
  • It's extremely unlikely to be a Red Throated Thrush, and as we have seen earlier in this thread size can be difficult to judge at times. We really need a pic to confirm identity.
  • I know almost nothing about birds but was puzzled by this one in my garden and same/similar about 1/2 mile away. Description exactly as this thread. Rubbish pic sorry linksharing.samsungcloud.com/tJCKLJNwU6fq
  • Hi everyone . Im not a bird watcher sorry . But i have just been looking at a bird and i thaught it was i giant robin. So got my phone out and the recording is rubbish . So i researched online . And it was identical to what i see as a red breasted thrush .it is on Springfield road aughton near ormskirk . Next to springfield care home . Im not mistaken . This is exactly the bird i saw . I drive a pavement sweeper and it was on the floor in front of me pecking through the leaves against the wall