Please could you identify this bird?

Hello and apologies if this post is repeated. I forgot to add a subject when I posted initially and could not see if it uploaded successfully. There are 2 pictures below, not brilliant as I took them through glass. I initially thought it was a sparrow but I have seen it since and now I am not so sure. Apologies if it is a sparrow.....I get lots of different birds in my garden form a heron to nuthatches, treecreepers etc but very few sparrows.  Well, thats my excuse!

Kind regards Jane.

• Hi Jef, welcome to the forums.

The bird in your photo is a Reed Bunting.

Regards Buzzard

Nature Is Amazing - Let Us Keep It That Way

• Hello Buzzard

Thank you so much, I have spent blooming ages looking through bird books and on websites to try to identify it. I am sure you are right as now I have looked at various photos online to compare (have you seen stevenround-birdphotography....a wonderful site?).

It appeared again the other day and was frequently flicking its tail  and wings which also fits. I live very near a farm and I believe these birds are visiting farms and gardens more often now?

Thank you so much.......you have no idea how frustrated I was becoming and you solve the problem in a couple of minutes....superb!  I wil definitely visit these forums again.

On another point, I have a buzzard (your namesake!) which has just started visiting. It spent ages perched on the roof of my birdtable a couple of days ago, and I was lucky enough to be at home. Please see photo below.

Kind regards Jane.

• Hi Jef,

Welcome to the forum. What lovely photos. You are lucky to have those reed buntings, so well done for capturing them. And the buzzard is simply beautiful.

The forum is a friendly place where we share photos and experiences no matter how trivial, and there are so many clever people who can ID or offer advice. It would be great if you stay around and tell us more about your garden visitors - illustrated stories of course!

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• Hello Buzzard

We have a similar coloured reed bunting but am not sure if it's a female or a juvenile getting it's adult plunage  - what do you think?

Jazzcat

• Unknown said:

Thank you so much.......you have no idea how frustrated I was becoming and you solve the problem in a couple of minutes....superb!  I wil definitely visit these forums again.

Hi Jef, you are more than welcome.

The forums are very friendly, there are quite a few of us who post regulary offering advice or just share our birding experiences.

The shot of the buzzard is excellent, I look forward to seeing some other pictures.

Regards Buzzard 

• Unknown said:

Hello Buzzard

We have a similar coloured reed bunting but am not sure if it's a female or a juvenile getting it's adult plunage  - what do you think?

Jazzcat

Hi Jazzcat, I would be fairly certain that it would be a female.

Reed Buntings may have two broods between April - June, incubation is approx 13 days and the young fledge at 12 - 14 days.

If they started early, then there is a possibility that fledglings could be showing. They would be between 4-5 days old.

I would be somewhat surprised  that a single fledgling would be visiting your garden.

Regards Buzzard

• Thanks Buzzard

I too think it's probably a female but the lower part of the face is much darker that the other females we have - makes this one very didtinctive. Will post a photo when we have it ready.

I was wondering when last years young get their proper plumage - would it have been last Autumn or now?

Jazzcat

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 02/05/2010 05:20 in reply to jazzcat

hi Jeff

Welcome to the RSPB forum and enjoy your stay here

First of all your 1st picture shows a breeding Female Reed bunting - she has some of the dark areas around her head like the males show but not as black.

The 2nd picture is of a Buzzard due to colouration and the size of the bird

Two beautiful pictures to be proud of if you ask me

Regards

Kathy and Dave