Mystery bird call... Still a mystery!

Hi all, I have been hearing a bird call on and off for years, during the day in Spring, Summer and Autumn, but only infrequently. It isnt a song, just a noise. It seems like it is a larger bird rather than a smaller garden bird. I have attached a recording of the call. Please note, it is the two-tone short hollow noise that repeats at the end of the recording. Its just 10 seconds long - appreciate your help. Many thanks, - G
  • Not sure what's making the call but I hope you don't mind me isolating it and boosting it a bit for others to hear. It may help if folks knew where the recording was made.

My bird photos HERE

• In reply to Paul A:

Hi all... just to update... the recording was made in Norden, Rochdale...

• In reply to ghisan:

I must say it does sound very much like a Cuckoo clock. However, it might be a Song Thrush as they tend to mimic things and repeat their favourite phrases a few times.

• In reply to Gus R:

Hi Gus, thanks both very much for replying. I'm sure it's not a song thrush as there is never any other song at all. It will repeat this perhaps 4 -8 times, with a gap of minutes or even an hour or so, and will come from different directions, so it's not caged. Really appreciated ate

• In reply to Paul A:

Thanks Paul for re-cutting the audio....

• In reply to ghisan:

Hm, might not be a Song Thrush then as they tend to have other phrases that they'll repeat in the same sitting, and they sit in their favourite song-singing perch when they are singing. Not sure what else it might be...

• In reply to Gus R:

So far, had suggestions locally of hoopoe, Scops owl, song thrush, stock dove.... But I don't think it's any of those. I've also tweeted it to the RSPB in the hope someone knows!

• In reply to ghisan:

It does sound like a bad recording of a Hoopoe but not many of them around Rochdale,be interesting to know what the experts think.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• In reply to Seaman:

Having relistened, I'm not sure this is a native bird. Sounds quite exotic. Can't be of any more help though I'm afraid.

• In reply to Seaman:

Hi Seaman, and thanks for taking the time to respond ... And yep, totally agree with you re it's for everyone!