Identify please, small bird

Hi there, not posted on here before, I am not a birder, but normally do not have any trouble identifying garden (and other) British birds but am perplexed trying to identify this small bird that arrived in the garden yesterday and spent a couple of hours with us. Location is suburban West Midlands with countryside 1/2 mile west. The bird was slightly larger than a robin, robin-like behaviour (without the bobbing), brown to dark brown upper and pale dusky pink fading to off-white on breast/underside, thin 'insect' beak similar to Robin, distinguishing features are horizontal dark flash across the eye (not very prominent though) and a white splash above the tail - noticeable only in flight. I am quite good identifying birds and this one has not something I've seen before. It looked a little confused by it's surroundings but was not all that timid, it perched on walls and posts with a wagtail-like flick of its tail occasionally, and one-time jumped after insects/flys like a Flycatcher would. I got a couple of pictures but can't see how to post them in this thread. Anyone got suggestions? It's got me puzzled!
  • Hi Col

Very good description. The general colouring and particularly the white rump in flight make me think of a female or first year  (Northern) Wheatear. Tail flicking is also a characteristic. Take a look at some of the images HERE to see if I'm on the right track

It's unusual to see one in a garden but during migration they can turn up anywhere

To post photo follow this link

http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/about/f/1251/t/108794.aspx

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• I found a couple of rubbish photos of one that turned up in Regent's Park, London last year. The second one shows a bit of its white rump

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Thanks for the quick reply Tony

I think you are spot on! I try and post a pic later, although they are not very good taken through glass and is not as good as those 'rubbish' photos anyway (ha), but should be good enough and perhaps you can confirm, but certainly looks like it, I always though a Wheatear was a bit bigger, but not having seen one before... I'll add it to my garden 'seen' list.

Thanks for your knowledgeable reply

• I believe that this is the bird I’ve just seen in my garden. I didn’t get to see the white rump but the rest of your description seemed right. I thought at first, not being very good at identifying anything beyond the very common birds, that it may have been a young robin awaiting his full red breast as there was a ‘blush’ n the right area. However, he didn’t eat the live mealworms but did snap at a fly mid air. I live on the Kent/Surrey border surrounded by woodland and fields. I spend a lot of time watching the wildlife where I live but can’t recall having seen this little chap before.

I’ve