Srange faeces in my garden

Hi. Can anyone help identify the faeces left in my back garden a couple of days ago? It was about 3 inches long, approx one third "standard " grey/whitish poo, two thirds black spaghetti like strands. Some separate black "spaghetti" strands also found nearby. Photos are attached. Wildlife in my garden normally consists of birds, some rabbits, an occasional snake and we back onto woods so foxes and deer are quite common down our lane, although I have never see any in our garden. I appreciate that this site is mainly for birds but don't think this is from a feathered friend, however maybe someone has come across something like this before. Thanks
Garden Faeces.zip
  • Looks like we need to buy and download WinRAR to see this file,or is it just my computer being fussy

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Here you go, I hope this helps.

My bird photos HERE

• Thanks Paul but sorry I cannot be much help,I feel as though I should know it but grain cell on strike.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Well, I'm no Chris Packham so this is just speculation. The colour and size looks a bit like Hedgehog poo although it's hard to judge from a photo. I've never seen quantities like this though all in one place. Usually you just find small amounts in various places across the lawn. It reminds me of the sort of communal latrine that Badgers use but I've no idea whether Hedgehogs do that.

Let's hope someone has got a better idea than me.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• The only time I have noticed hedgehog faeces is in small quantities when they have marked their territory never seen it in quantities if that is what it is.

Pete

• Dear Paul

Random message, but I wondered if you ever identified this scat? We have the exact same in our southern suburban garden today. Never seen it before. We only have foxes, squirrels and birds that we know of. Hedgehog doesn't look quite right. Weasel family looks close but seems unlikely. Yours is the only photo I've found on the internet so I thought I'd ask. Many thanks.
  • I am wondering the same. Southern suburban woodland garden here.
  • Because its long string like poo, I'm tempted to say earth worms.

Thought I'd better add earth incase someone one thought tape or other intestinal worm.

• Hi. Is it feasible to set up a trail camera to catch the culprit in the act? You can get a decent one for quite cheap these days.

I never knew we had a hedgehog visiting the garden until set up a trail camera randomly (as it visits in the small hours). I have now set up a hedgehog home in time for this winter in case it (or a friend) wants to move in.

I haven´t seen any of that kind of poo though. Open mouth

• The size makes me think it must be a very unhappy tummy in a hedgie, a fox who ate something bad, or a mustelid due to the stringiness. Big question would be how it smelled because if the stink wasn't overpowering then it is more likely to be hedgehog than the others, who are universally very powerful scents.