I want starlings around but no more pigeons :/

I don't suppose anyone knows how to feed Starlings without more pigeons/jackdaws/magpies? I guess a matter for philosophers...? 

I'M OVERRUN!!! 

My garden looks like I was the pigeon lady from Home Alone 2! :D

Got hanging caged feeders for little birdies to stand a chance, which works (they're still getting used to/ not trusting it 100%). I had to stop with the ground caged feeder I ordered. It wasn't working for little ones (i think a bit too small space) but did for starlings... Until pigeons tried to do what regular starling does- put head through..Some managed, others were getting head stuck and NOT learning from it either, so I got too nervous of finding dead one :/

All would be good if not the number of the big birds in the area and associated mess- all i can say is MADNESS. A lady next door throws some food for them nearby, so I guess they stick around... 

They'd storm anything you put out and empty everything- seeds, mealworms, fat balls, suet cakes, nuts for squirrels, immediately. Hence the cages now. But feel bad for the regular lady starling :/ 

There is one crazy pigeon I call Stevie The Crackhead, who refuses to be afraid of me, so I do actually hand feed him sometimes now LOL- this annoying person you don't want to be friends with but is so persistent you eventually give up :D

• Ha! I might ask what you're putting in Stevie's food?!

Have you tried coconut halves? I've found that starlings can feed easily from them but pigeons struggle to find a way.

As for the selective feeding, it's interesting that in the past people have asked on these forums how to deter starlings from their feeders, so I guess we might each have our favourites but it will be difficult to exclude some and not others. 

Are they feral pigeons or woodpigeons? If the latter, in the most recent list of Birds Of Conservation Concern they had moved from green to amber, so they do need our help. Woodpigeons can also breed pretty late in the year, and feral pigeons all year round, so they might be regurgitating that food later for their young - just a thought!