Is having a bird feeder that attracts pigeons, sparrows and blue tits in your garden illegal.

We have a small bird feeding station in our garden, that attracts at most 5 pigeons, countless sparrows and some blue tits.  The neighbours (tenants) next door are complaining and asked to put bird spikes on our trellis, which we have refused.  I will hasten to add there is a tall tree adjacent to the fence in there garden and a very large unkempt bush.  Are we doing anything illegal?, As they keep taking photographs of there side of the fence.  There is bird poo on the fence (our side) which we clean regularly with a squirt of soapy water and brush down.  Thank you for clarification.

• Have you asked them why they don't like birds (or possibly wildlife in general)?

The imp in me says I'd put up a sign that would be in their "photo opportunites". Something along the line of "the person that took this photo ..." (insert message).

I don't think there is general legislation that prevents bird tables. etc. If there was, then feeding stations all over the country would have to be shut down (including feeding stations for released game birds? Oops, there's my impish stuff again).

There may be clauses in restrictive covenants on the house (which can be challenged), local bylaws (which can be challenged) and clauses in (private) rental terms (less easy to challenge). I'm assuming you are either a owner/occupier and/or have properly examined your tenancy agreement.

Just my 2p-worth.

• Thank you for replying.  We are indeed owner occupiers, have had nearly 25 years in this house (EOT).  The landlady (very arrogant) inherited the house some 20 years ago from her late parents.  The last 3 years have been difficult.  Previous 2 tenants we have had very good relations with, these are, to be frank obnoxious and extremely animated, although they play a very good victim scenario.  They complain and are indirectly abusive verbally.  The bird poo is the latest one, after a year of it being there, suddenly this is now their concern.  We are in our sixties, both with health conditions and we enjoy watching the birds from our kitchen window.  Any poo on the fence or patio is regularly cleaned off with a spray of soapy water and a brush down, apparently the ‘bird poo’ is very dangerous.  We don’t play loud music, the volume is low, we don’t speak loudly and have a very good relationship with most of the neighbours whether owned or rented in our close.  The reason we wanted clarification is because previously, the police have turned up at our door (all good, unfounded allegations and pleasant officers).  In fact the man said previously they love wildlife.  We emailed the landlady to say we do not consent to the pigeon spikes and outlined why, and received a very rude reply.  We do not want trouble nor seek to offend anyone, but we don’t want pigeon spikes and to keep our bird feeding table.