Keeping ground areas clean

The grassy area round my feeding station is a soggy mess due to the amount of bird traffic. My garden is very wet, borderline boggy, and the birds have a system where some attack the suet balls and others hoover up the crumbs. It's not messy with droppings, just slimy from all the traffic I think, but it feels like it isn't healthy. I'm not sure what is a safe way to clean it, however. I'm considering putting gravel or similar down around it, but until then, are there any products that are safe to e.g. spray topically on the ground where birds feed, or is an occasional dousing with nearly boiling water the best I can do? I've started using Ark disinfectant for the actual cleaners. 

• If I were you I would consider moving the feeding station around the garden every so often. I have seen the grass under my feeders go really short/bare after lots of traffic, especially when the rooks come in. I would worry about putting disinfectant onto grass/bare soil however? Perhaps you could find or make a bird table that runs around the bottom of the feeder to catch any food and when birds like the chaffinches and blackbirds do the 'hoovering job' they'll just be walking on the wood not the boggy ground. Hope this inspires you to find a solution. I'm just thinking aloud as I've never had this problem before.