Fat ball feeder visitors

• In reply to simonali:

simonali said:
    Mike, I literally can't recall the last time I saw a starling. They seem to be very rare round these parts.

Starlings are still quite scarce in many places.

I wouldn't say we have that large number, but summertime, seeing close on 20 or so in our (very urban) garden isn't a rare thing the last three or four years.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• I have snapped an averagely good photo of the mystery visitor. I'm pretty sure it's a female blackcap?

• Found this funny pic of a moulting blackbird on the camera. Beak is a bit yellow...

• In reply to simonali:

Yes I would agree, female Blackcap, a lovely visitor to get, have not had one of those in my garden. A lovely looking Blackbird in moult, looks like she has one of those frilly skirts on about to do a dance!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Mine was covered in Jackdaws the other day, Five fat balls were gone within two hours. I could see the sparrows and tits in the trees and hedges watching, waiting for the Jackdaws to go.

I know... birds are birds... but is there a way to stop the Jackdaws and Magpies ravaging all the food I put out whilst the smaller one's look on?
  • In reply to Dingledoodie:

Try using a guardian feeder, it has a cage around the outside with gaps too small for starling sized or larger. RsPB shop has them, as do various online retailers